Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

macbook pro xp install questions????

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 five04ever

five04ever

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

My buddy dropped off his macbook pro and said it was all messed up (kids), and he didnt have any software for it, but wanted me to install winxp on it since i worked on all his other pc's for windows that is... I seen some threads on this topic but not clear about what drivers etc are need if it takes xp even takes? He says it has a camera, had wireless internet access, etc..... Can anyone help me out on this... Never rebuilt a mac before.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

You'll need the original OS X install disc for the Mac, or a Leopard(10.5) install disc if the Mac came with Tiger(10.4). You'll need to do a clean install of OS X. Once thats done, go to /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant. That will properly partition the hard drive. If you're gonna be using mainly XP, give the most space to the Boot Camp partition. Then itll ask for the XP install CD, and it'll reboot and go thru a normal XP install. Once thats done, boot into XP and stick the OS X install disc in, and you'll be able to install all the proper drivers for XP to work right. Run Apple Update to get the latest drivers and you should be good to go.
Posted Image

#3 five04ever

five04ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

Change of plans.... I ended up adding a new admin account and wiping out the 'bad' admin account.... It now seems to operate fine, kinda like a new build, but not sure i got everything out... Actually the 'bad' account i blew away had a huge amount of phots, and trial software along with a bunch of other crap that i think maty have been causing the prob. Eitherway it seems to work fine... For now that is.

I guess i would be concerned that if i blew away the 'bad' account did it actually remove all the files that may have been causing the problem... being the 'bad' account was an admin and was able to install anything?

Any ideas?

Thanks for responding TVT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users