Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tobarglen

Tobarglen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hi - I hope someone knows the answer to this. I have a new Acer Aspire laptop model 5738Z with a bluetooth button above the keyboard. When I press this button the bluetooth symbol appears for a few seconds with a red X on it before disappearing. This happens every time so it is not a matter of it turning on then off.
Does this mean there is something wrong like a missing driver or is there some sort of card not installed?
Any suggestions would be happily received.

Thanks

Tobarglen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

I have conflicting information from two different web sites one says its included on says its not. Best to check the owners manual and see if its included. If it is included its likely a driver issue. The button is there to turn it on and off (just like you can on a cell phone to preserver battery life).
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Tobarglen

Tobarglen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

thanks ive weighed things up and have decided i don't want to void the warranty so i think i can live without! thanks to all who have looked at my problem. :thumbsup:

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

do you have a blue tooth device to hook up to it? Blue tooth requires a lot of power, and most items, like phones for example, that have blue tooth, when you turn the blue tooth on, it makes the device discoverable for a short period of time, usually 30 or 60 seconds, and if it has not found a device in that time it automatically shuts off. I would recomend reading the owners manual and actually trying to hook it up to a blue tooth device to find out if it works or not.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Tobarglen

Tobarglen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:52 AM

Hi there

Thanks for your responses. I tried the manuals in PDF format that came with the computer but they are simply quick start guides and nowehere is Bluetooth mentioned.

When the button is pressed the Bluetooth logo comes on immediatelt with the red X on it which tells me Bluetooth doesn't want to know. On reading other items on the net I can only assume that my machine needs to have a connector and internal device installed as it is absent at the moment. I can't understand why Acer supply machines without the internal bits especially when the capability is there!

Anyway, I know I could get one at a reasonable price on ebay but as I say, I don't want to open up the laptop to install the unit because to do so would void the warranty. I wanted the Bluetooth to work so that I could interact with my mobile phone but in all honesty a simple USB cable will be the easier option for me.

Thanks both of you for taking the time to respond.

Tobarglen
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users