Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.Agent & Rootfix.Trace Infection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bittergrrl

bittergrrl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

On Tuesday of this week, my husband's computer became infected with the "Advanced Virus Remover" Malware, among other nastiness. We installed Reanimator - which repaired the machine to the point that we could install both Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spyhunter, and SuperAntiSpyware. We ran the free versions of all three of these applications and let them clear off whatever was on the machine.

As of yesterday the machine seemed to be fine. We have been running scans using all three programs several times a day, just to be sure, and this morning, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware found both a Trojan.Agent and Rootkit.Trace on the machine.

We're pretty much resolved to reformatting the hard drive and starting over, but if there's any way to avoid that it would be great. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Elizabeth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Please install RootRepeal

Go HERE, and download RootRepeal.zip to your Desktop.
Tutorial with images ,if needed >> L@@K
Unzip that to your Desktop and then click RootRepeal.exe to open the scanner.

*Open the folder and double-click on RootRepeal.exe to launch it. If using Vista, right-click and Run as Administrator...
* Click on the FILES tab, then click the Scan button.
* In the Select Drives, dialog Please select drives to scan: select all drives showing, then click OK.
* When the scan has completed, a list of files will be generated in the RootRepeal window.
* Click on the Save Report button and save it as rootrepeal.txt to your desktop or the same location where you ran the tool from.
* Open rootrepeal.txt in Notepad and copy/paste its contents in your next reply.
* Exit RootRepeal and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.

Please note: If Rootrepeal fails to run, try this step: Click Settings - Options. Set the Disk Access slider to High

Note 2: If RootRepeal cannot complete a scan and results in a crash report, try repeating the scan in "Safe Mode".
Computer Pro

#3 bittergrrl

bittergrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to mention that this was an XP SP3 machine.

I've tried running RootRepeal in "Safe Mode" and logged in as the admin on the box, and it stalls at the "Initializing, Please Wait" dialog, ends up taking about 98% CPU and never responds. In Safe Mode, I tried changing the file name and I get an error dialog "Could not load driver (0x 0000035)!" but I assume this is due to the name change.

I tried running it on my Vista machine and my other uninfected XP machine and it worked just fine, so I'm pretty sure it's a machine specific problem.

Any other suggestions?

#4 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

Yes, lets try another Rootkit scanner.

Please download Sophos Anti-rootkit& save it to your desktop.
Note: If using the vendor's download site you will be asked to register with MySophos so an email containing an activation link can be sent to your email address.

Credits to DaChew
Be sure to print out and read the User Manualand Release Notes
Double-click sar_15_sfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now". Click Yes.
Make sure the following are checked:
o Running processes
o Windows Registry
o Local Hard Drives

Click Start scan.
Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
o Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
o Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
o Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will finish when you restart your computer. Click Restart Now.
After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\.
Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
Clean out your temporary files.
Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.
Computer Pro

#5 bittergrrl

bittergrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

Ok, so below you'll find the log from the ARK scan. But before in addition to that, I've encountered another possible symptom to the problem.

I can't connect to the Internet.

We had disconnected this machine from the Internet as soon as it became infected, so I had been keeping it off-line, but since the instructions mentioned trying to connect to the internet after running the application, I attempted to do so with no success. The machine won't connect either wired or wireless.

That being said, here's the log. It didn't really come up with anything, but maybe tomorrow when we start the machine it will come up with the Trojan.Agent and Rootfix.Trace files in MAM. I have the original MAM log file from the first removal if that would be helpful.

Sophos Anti-Rootkit Version 1.5.0 © 2009 Sophos Plc
Started logging on 8/14/2009 at 21:26:18 PM
User "Andrew" on computer "SQUEE"
Windows version 5.1 SP 3.0 Service Pack 3 build 2600 SM=0x300 PT=0x1 Win32
Info: Starting process scan.
Info: Starting registry scan.
Info: Starting disk scan of C: (NTFS).
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\My Documents\Game\Harn\Magic\Additional Harnic Spells.doc
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\My Documents\My Pictures\Downloads\SORTED\GOOD\Bound-Alchemy (no smoking)\P1010012.jpg
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\Real\RealOne Player\db\Backup\000\000077.tmd
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\im\indicim.jar
Info: Starting disk scan of G: (FAT).
Info: Starting disk scan of H: (FAT).
Stopped logging on 8/14/2009 at 22:28:00 PM

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

Nothing is showing up. My suggestion would either be to post in the HJT forum or reformat. Which would you want to do?
Computer Pro

#7 bittergrrl

bittergrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

Well, we're backing up data in preparation for a reformat right now, but once that's done, I'll run HJT and post the results, just in case anything happens to pop up.

#8 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:21 PM

Ok, well, yes backup, and then follow these instructions for posting in the HJT forum:

It looks like we are going to have to use more powerful tools than what we are allowed to use in the Am I Infected forum. I am going to need for you to post a DDS/HijackThis Log in the HijackThis Log section of the forum.

Please refer to this for your preparation reasons before posting:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

You can find the forum here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Once you have created a new topic in the HijackThis section, please post a link to it in this topic.
Please allow time for your topic to be replied to in the HijackThis section as the HJT Team is EXTREMELY busy posting logs before yours.

Good Luck!

P.S.: They are about 10 days behind, so the wait will be about 10 days.

Edited by Computer Pro, 14 August 2009 - 10:21 PM.

Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users