Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus enhanced driver fault

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MartyGeek

MartyGeek

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:30 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know how to uninstall the Asus Enhanced Video Driver?

My machine randomly BSODs now that I have made the mistake of installing it. I have tried the Add/Remove CP applet, a registry search for the driver, a hard drive search for the driver, and re-running the setup.exe to see if it might allow me to uninstall as well as install. No luck. :thumbsup:

When I renamed atkosdmini.dll to atkosdmini.old under Safe Mode, my graphics totally screwed up - leaving me with 16 colours in 800x600 mode. Now that I have renamed it to .dll, my machine continues to BSOD. :flowers:

I am running Windows Server 2003, Standard, but I have heard it may also happen on Windows XP SP2. I have slowed the return of the BSOD's by Disabling Hardware Acceleration, but I really don't want to continue with an NVidia card that thinks its a standard graphics card, and BSOD's definitely don't make me happy. :trumpet:

Any information anyone may be able to offer would be most appreciated. :inlove:

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:59 PM

Have you tried to uninstall from the Device Manager?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 MartyGeek

MartyGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:10 AM

First, thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, the Asus Enhanced "Driver" is not really a driver, it appears to be an extension to the graphics functionality.

Whilst I had the atkosdmini.dll stripped out of my system, I did revert to a Standard VGA driver, then did a clean install of the latest NVidia drivers, hoping it would overwrite the necessity for the Asus "enhancements". Nope! :thumbsup:

Still faced with 16 colours and 800x600, I was forced to revert the atkosdmini.dll, and cripple the card's performance to get by.

Nothing in the world I dislike more than an install that won't uninstall.....

M :flowers:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:45 AM

Was this a download?
Could have been a corrupt download.
Maybe, try re-downloading.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 MartyGeek

MartyGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:41 AM

No, I have installed the same file on other Operating Systems on this computer, without problem.

It is definitely a conflict between the Asus ED and other system components. I would be more than happy to just ditch it, if I could.

Still crazy, M :thumbsup:

#6 tabasla

tabasla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:51 AM

HELLO I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEME AND I DON'T HAVE FIND ANY SOLUTION A I AM ANGRY AGAINST ASUS AND THEIRE POOR SUPPORT
BYE

#7 Flatline

Flatline

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:39 PM

To remove the enhanced driver, just run the setup program from the driver package again. It'll ask if you want to remove it, just click yes, and you're done.

The latest Asus enhanced driver doesnt work for me either... when it's installed I get locked into 800x600 16 colour, and windows cant seem to operate the video card at all. (Asus 9600XT.)

Kinda frustrating...

#8 MartyGeek

MartyGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for all your help. The Uninstall routine had gone south, but eventually I managed to re-install the blinking thing, then Un-install.

The trouble I originally had was that Un-install wasn't working, and Re-install told me that it was already installed. By stripping out some of the components, I was eventually allowed to Re-install.

At least now the problem is on record, and Asus MIGHT think about addressing the issue.

And finally, YES, I am also not impressed one bit with Asus support. At least their products are good in the main part.

Cheers again

M :thumbsup:

#9 uhav2laf

uhav2laf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:47 AM

I'm running 2 x 7600GT's in SLI mode on a Windows 2003 Standard Server. I went to play a .mpg and received the BSOD with the atkosdmini.dll error. Thanks to the group, I uninstalled the Asus ED and the problem has gone. Pity there is no help on the ASUS site for a better solution.

#10 knoxy67

knoxy67

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:32 AM

my problem is that i keep getting a warning message saying"system does not install asus enhanced driver,some features of smart doctor may not work,please install driver"

ive downloaded the enhanced driver from asus site but i still get this message.can some one plz help me with this

thnx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users