Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating systems not found (help)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A Stinky Bumb

A Stinky Bumb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

alright i have a dell laptop running windows vista home basic and when i start it up it shows me a menu that states that my battery will not be able to charge... options are F2 to setup menu any key to continue and another button to enter boot menu. i just continue because the power cord is getting power and is connected to the back and it doesnt show any form of the battery wearing out. then it sends me to a menu that states the operating system cannot be found. there are the same options and i hit to continue then it just goes to an all black screen... it wont respond and do anything after that so i just shut it down. the compute has a lot of stuf on it and is has been running slow lately... what are my options here?!

did it crash?
did my hd die?
do i need to reinstall vista? (i no longer have the install disk)

i need help as soon as i can get it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

No other symptoms or problems prior to this happening?

It was working fine the last time you shut it off?

What model Dell lap top?

Was Vista installed when it was purchased?

A suggestion. Remove the battery. Some have a self-tester built in. It will have several (four ?) green LEDs with the amount of power it is holding. Below this is a small symbol you can push. This should cause on of the LEDs to light up.

You can also try starting the lap top with the battery removed. Do not think this will make a difference but it will not hurt anything that I know of.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

Sounds like a hard drive crash.

#4 A Stinky Bumb

A Stinky Bumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

no prior symptoms... it was just running slow it didnt have a ton of space left on the HD

it is a dell inspiron 1501 (made 04 i think)
vista home basic came installed when bought

a screen had come up before saying that the battery wasnt gonna charge but i ignored it because it was charging and i could use it off the charger
however the operating system problem screen had never came up before...

if it is a hard drive crash is there any way i could tear the HD out and hook it up to a sata cable or something and pul the info off or is it completely gone forever?

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

if it is a hard drive crash is there any way i could tear the HD out and hook it up to a sata cable or something and pul the info off or is it completely gone forever?

Hard drives can suffer from two kinds of failures. The surface of the disk can become damaged. In this instance recovery of the data, at least some of it is possible by the method you mentioned.

If it is a hardware, as in head crash or failure of the disks to spin up then all bets are off. There are companies that charge BIG $$$$ to recover data in cases like that.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

(i no longer have the install disk)

Free of charge the last time I used it
https://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...n/backupcd_form
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users