Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security software wont work or uninstall, my mistake, not a virus.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hippocratEz

hippocratEz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Hello and good day to anyone who reads this! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I just got a new HP laptop with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I installed TrendMicro Antivirus plus Antispyware and things were fine. I installed Spybot without realizing that TrendMicro has compatibility issuues with Spybot. I soon realized that Trend's Prevent Unauthorized Changes tool would no longer work. Then I read about the compatibility issues at Trend's site. I thought all antispywares were supposed to be compatible with each other, so I didn't even think to check first. I didn't know it would ruin my security completely. I uninstalled Spybot, and the issue continued. I uninstalled Trend, then reinstalled it. When I tried to update the new Trend installation, it tried to install the updates for almost 3 hours. At that point, I restarted the PC in hopes of trying again. Same thing: installing the updates lagged. So I restarted the PC, and used Trend's website hotfix tool for updates when the program doesn't work. It updated and restarted the PC. The program still said it was not updated yet! So I tried to run the update again. Once again, lag on install.

Finally, I decided to use system restore. I restored back to before I installed Spybot. Now, Trend won't even open! I undid the restore, and Trend still won't start. I can neither install or uninstall Trend. When I try, I get an error like, "There was a problem with the program's installation. Please try again later." I did, and the same thing happens. I have contacted Trend, but I hope someone else has some ideas.

Thanks,
Hippo

Edited by hippocratEz, 13 August 2009 - 11:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:17 AM

Did you try to run Trend Micro's vista 64 bit uninstall tool?
http://support.antivirus.co.uk/trendmicro/...amp;serviceId=1

#3 hippocratEz

hippocratEz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the reply, tork. Trend's support team tried to help me, and they did not suggest the tool you mentioned. We tried deleting from the registry and C:, but the program has special permissions that we cannot change. They asked me to talk to Geek Squad.

Thanks anyway.
HippocratEz

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:01 AM

You're welcome.
tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic