Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VirtualBox / Virtualisation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

Hi, i've recently partitioned my HDD that had windows XP installed, i have install Fedora 11 and was thinking of ghosting my XP partition into a virtual machine. I have the image of the XP partition, but when i boot to the ghost CD in virtual box, as the image isn't already on one of the virtual HDD's i can't select the image.

Any idea's how i can virtualise that partition within linux?

Edited by Al1000, 04 February 2017 - 05:50 PM.
Moved from Linux & Unix

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

How, exactly, did you make the ghost image and how are you trying to mount it in the VM?

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:31 AM

I made the ghost image using Symantec Ghost. I'm not trying to mount it into the VM as it doesn't produce .iso's, it produces .GHO files. I was asking how i would mount it into the VM or if that's not possible, how i would copy it to a vm...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

Never having used Symantec Ghost, I can't be much help there beyond pointing you to this post on the VirtualBox forums.

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:55 PM

Found a way around it...

I copied my .gho image to another computer on the network, ran Ghost Cast server, and ran the boot disk in my Virtual Box which then found the image on the other computer.

Did take a while to find the right network card driver as Virtual Box uses a generic one (well, my version does anyway)...

- Kam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users