Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need to Reformat and Reinstall?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shady1475

Shady1475

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:12 PM

OK everyone... I'm having some big problems with my PC. It is running very slow and my system restore won't come up and neither will my search window. I have tried all of the scanning software and my virus software is not working properly either. Installing software is very problematic also!!! I need to know if I can repair my system or do I need to reformat and reinstall or what? If so how do I back up my programs and other data and then nuke it and start over? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

Have you run error checking, and defragmented lately?
How much free space do you have on your harddrive?
Have you tried these 2 online scans?
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
What spyware scanners do you use?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

I do also reccomend bleep cleaner. It will scan your system for files either wasting space, or are not needed anymore. It also has a built in registry scanner that looks for faulty or invalid registry keys.

I guarantee this will speed up your computer and fix some problems.

www.ccleaner.com

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:16 PM

Warning!
Before making ANY registry changes, ALWAYS MAKE A BACK UP OF THE ORIGINAL! Unless you are extremely careful, you can inadvertantly seriously harm your operating system by mucking about with changes to the registry!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Shady1475

Shady1475
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:41 PM

I think that's what has already happened. Everything seems buggy and slow. I've used Spy-Bot S&D and lots of other scanners and find nothing every time I go through it. Any other ideas? :thumbsup:

I have ran error checker and defragged with Disk Keeper Pro.
There's 10GB free on the HD I don't use it for storing anything.

Edited by Shady1475, 17 July 2005 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users