Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor and Laptop Not Running At Native Resolution

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hackman2007

hackman2007

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:05 PM

I'm trying to hook up my laptop (Toshiba A105-S4384) up to my desktop monitor. It is hooked up through a KVM switch (some IOGear model, the video is standard D-Sub/VGA).

The native resolution of my laptop is 1280x800 on a Intel 945GM chipset.

My monitor (Acer AL1916W) has a native resolution of 1440x900 which my laptop should clearly handle.

When I plugged in the monitor, the resolution did not go to the monitor's native resolution and also recognized the monitor as a generic non-PnP monitor.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the laptop to run at the monitor's native resolution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

You've tried to change the display resolution on the laptop?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:02 PM

Some KVM switches limit the resolution. The documentation on "the some IOGear model" should say.

A lot of laptops come with a VGA external port for hooking up an external monitor. since you have a KVM switch connected to the laptop is there a reason you just do not hook up the monitor directly bypassing the KVM and probably eliminating the resolution situation?

#4 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

@hamluis: Yes, I tried changing the resolution from the laptop. The closest resolution was 1400x1200 or something around that.

@ThunderZ: The KVM I have can go up to 1920x1080. Obviously the quality diminishes since it's running from Analog VGA. I can't hook it up directly because I have one other computer that is connected and cannot take it down when I need to use the laptop. My desktop (though a different computer) runs just fine at the default resolution of the monitor.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

#6 hackman2007

hackman2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

I tried installing that driver, but it would not install. It said it wasn't necessary.

I did notice a topic on the official Intel forums regarding this same exact problem Here, so it may be a problem with the specific laptop.

Who knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users