Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Reboots Endlessly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dimmrick

Dimmrick

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:08 PM

Hello
I also have an endless start up cycle like the one I saw in an earlier post. My computer OS is XP Pro SP2.
From the beginning: I had an AVGold and the about:blank hijacking of my IE.
I tried to get my computer to re-start in SafeMode but it would just reboot itself everytime after running a screen of drivers. It would start no problem in Normal Mode. I was able to get rid of the AVGold virus running in Normal Mode. I then went into MSCONFIG and checked the bootsafe.ini as I wanted to get rid of the about:blank in SafeMode. I hit Apply and re-start.

Now, the computer continuously re-boots itself if I try to re-start in any Mode. It will do it automatically (as it counts down from 30 seconds) before trying Normal Mode. The computer always seems to make it to "Welcome" and then re-starts itself.

I've tried starting in;
1) in any of the SafeModes
2) in the Last Good Configuration Mode
3) in Normal Mode
4) in Debugging Mode
5) in Minimal Mode (I think this is what it's called...can't remember)
6) When I tried to start from "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure" the following error message came up:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL

I also tried to start with a copy of SP in my CD and boot from there. The CD sounded like it was spinning but then I got the same screen: asking me in which mode I wanted to start in

I downloaded the boot disk program from Microsoft and ended up with 6 Floppies.

I assume that I insert Floppy No.1 and boot from the Disk Drive (pressing F8 as soon as I see the Bios)? I'm hesitant to try this without some advise at this point.

Any other suggestions? Help!

Thanks
Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dimmrick

Dimmrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:23 AM

UPDATE:
I booted my computer from A: with the 6 diskettes loading. When I tried to run the Recovery Console, I wasn't able to type in chk dsk /r.

Can anyone help?

#3 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

UPDATE:
I booted my computer from A: with the 6 diskettes loading. When I tried to run the Recovery Console, I wasn't able to type in chk dsk /r.

Can anyone help?

After booting with the A:\ drive try to run the Recovery Console again then type in without quotes "FIXMBR" and see if that don't fix your master boot record. If it don't reload the Recovery Console again and type in without quotes "Fixboot" this writes a new startup sector on the system partition. I hope this helps if it don't please post back here what comes up.

#4 Dimmrick

Dimmrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Phatcat

This is what happened.
After booting from the 6 diskettes, I went into the Recovery Console.
The screen looked like this:
1: c:\windows
Which windows installation would you like to log onto?:

I typed "1" (no quotes)

Then it said:

Type the administrator password:

I tried "administrator" "password" and "0000000" and was unable to get in.

Is there another method of getting into the Recovery Console so I can try fixmbr or fixboot?

Thanks

#5 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Phatcat

This is what happened.
After booting from the 6 diskettes, I went into the Recovery Console.
The screen looked like this:
1: c:\windows
Which windows installation would you like to log onto?:

I typed "1" (no quotes)

Then it said:

Type the administrator password:

I tried "administrator" "password" and "0000000" and was unable to get in.

Is there another method of getting into the Recovery Console so I can try fixmbr or fixboot?

Thanks

You have to know what the Admin password is that you used when you first loaded Windows XP on that computer. By Admin password I mean the main admin password not one for a user that has admin privileges.

#6 Dimmrick

Dimmrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:02 PM

Thanks Phatcat

Well, looks like I'm going to have to do some digging as it was over a year ago.

#7 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 10:21 PM

Thanks Phatcat

Well, looks like I'm going to have to do some digging as it was over a year ago.

I am not sure how well this works now days but you can try this--

access with a boot disk win 98 (fat 32 ) in DOS to this folder:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config
rename the file SAM by SAM.old. This process reset ALL password on XP.

Let me know if it still works. If it don't you can try this by going to another Windows XP computer and doing the following:

Use a computer administrator account
If you logged on to the computer by using an administrator account, follow these steps to create a password reset disk for a user account:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
3. In the User Accounts pane, click the account that you want to work with.
4. Under Related Tasks, click Prevent a forgotten password to start the Forgotten Password Wizard, and then click Next.
5. Insert a blank, formatted disk into drive A, and then click Next.
6. In the Current user account password box, type the password for the user account that you chose in step 3, and then click Next.

Note If the user account does not have a password, do not type a password in the Current user account password box.

The Forgotten Password Wizard creates the disk.
7. When the Progress bar reaches 100% complete, click Next, and then click Finish.
8. Remove and then label the password reset disk. Store the disk in a safe place.
Use a limited account
If you logged on to the computer by using a limited account, follow these steps to create a password reset disk for your user account:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Under Pick a category, click User Accounts.
3. Under Related Tasks, click Prevent a forgotten password to start the Forgotten Password Wizard.
4. Click Next.
5. Insert a blank, formatted disk into drive A, and then click Next.
6. In the Current user account password box, type your password, and then click Next.

Note If your user account does not have a password, do not type a password in the Current user account password box.

The Forgotten Password Wizard creates the disk.
7. When the Progress bar reaches 100% complete, click Next, and then click Finish.
8. Remove and then label the password reset disk. Store the disk in a safe place.

Edited by phatcat42141, 17 July 2005 - 10:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users