Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Rootkit virus on Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 laft41

laft41

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hi, I'm new to this site but need help with removing a nasty virus from my computer. I have Windows Vista. I just found this on Monday and think it's been on for about 2-3 weeks?? I have Malware bytes on this computer and it wouldn't run. Windows defender had an error and my security center was turned off and wouldn't turn back on. My AVG scan rand and found a trojan and did as instructed to remove it, but it's still there. I downloaded Spydoctor free version and I kept seeing it block Rootkit.tdss however when Spydoctor did a scan it didn't show my any rootkit virus' that it found. I googled and someone recommended SuperAntiSpyware, so I downloaded that and after my computer shut down by itself 3 times I finally got it downloaded and a scan complete and it showed me about 75 rootkits were found and about 4 trojans. I did as instructed to remove them and then it asked to reboot so I did. They are still there and my computer still keeps shutting off by itself when I try to scan again. I am not very computer smart so is it possible for me to remove this from my computer? I read that these are different on every computer?

Thanks,
Lisa

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

Hit it with this, for starters http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...b3-75b8eb148356

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive.
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 laft41

laft41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

When I click on the primary rootrepeal this is what I get

The bandwidth or page view limit for this site has been exceeded and the page cannot be viewed at this time. Once the site is below the limit, it will once again begin serving as normal.

I will try again tomorrow morning

Lisa

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

Try HERE, or HERE.

...back to you garmanma :thumbsup:

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#6 laft41

laft41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

OK, I downloaded and extracted but when I click to run it I get this error....

FOPS - DevoceIoControlError! Error code = 0xc0000001 Extended Info (0x000000e0)

Did I do something wrong?

#7 laft41

laft41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

OK, I just tried it again and got this

Could not read the boot sector. Try adjusting the Disk Access Level in the Option dialog.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

Open Root Repeal, on the top bar - click on Settings and then Options
Click on the General tab. Try moving the slider 1/2 way down and if that doesn't work, all the way
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 laft41

laft41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

OK, I will try this tonight when I get home.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users