Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable AV

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jamie1212

jamie1212

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hello everyone :thumbsup:

I downloaded and burned to disk a bootable antivirus called Avira AntiVir Rescue System from http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avir...cue_system.html. Now I loaded it into my other computer and booted up with it to see if I have any viruses before I would install an antivirus package. It booted up and the program started but when I hit scan it scanned for 1 sec and said it was done. After fiddling around with it for a few minutes to try and get it to work I gave up. So I tried to open the cd rom drive but it wouldn't let me. Then I decided to turn off the computer and when I turned it back on I couldn't get in. Nothing comes up on my screen. The light on my monitor keeps beeping like it's in sleep mode. I don't hear any beeps when I start the computer but I can hear the hdd start up. I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting my monitor but that did nothing. Would someone please be able to explain to me why this happened and how to go about fixing this?

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

You should be able to open the CD drive by inserting the end of a paper-clip into the small hole on the front of the drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jamie1212

jamie1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

Hey Budapest, thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention, I got the cd out and still nothing will come up on the screen.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

Do you have another monitor you can try?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jamie1212

jamie1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

Okay I tried another monitor and no luck.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Does anything at all show on the monitor when you boot the computer? Do you see the BIOS screen?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 jamie1212

jamie1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

No, absolutley nothing at all.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

If nothing at all shows you have some sort of hardware failure and it must be a coincidence that it happened right when you used the Avira AntiVir CD.

You could open up the case and check for loose connections.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 jamie1212

jamie1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

Well the inside of my pc is pretty dusty. So I should probably clean it out and check for any loose connections like you said, then try again. Do you think that there could have been a virus in the bootable a.v?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

I don't think so. But even if you got a virus you would still see at least the BIOS screen when the computer started.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 jamie1212

jamie1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

Yeah that's what I thought, I've never had this happen before. Okay so I checked for loose connections and everything seems to be fine. Should I try clearing cmos? I don't know if that would help.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

It might not help but it's worth a try I think.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 jamie1212

jamie1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Okay I've looked on the mobo but can't find the cmos jumper I've never done this before. Is it a jumper like on the back of a hdd?

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

Normally if you remove the motherboard battery for 10mins it should clear it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 jamie1212

jamie1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Okay so I put the battery back in after 10 mins and still nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users