Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Problem (PLEASE HELP!)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bearcatboy05

bearcatboy05

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:03 PM

I went to the display properties and clicked on the settings tab. After that i clicked on the 'advanced' button underneath the 'screen area' box. I was messing around in there, changing the color displays and screen area and stuff, and then my computer restarted itself, without a warning message or anything. After the computer rebooted, everything showed up huge (icons, toolbars, windows, etc.) and everything is discolored. I went back to display properties to fix the problem, but the only three choices i can choose from under the 'colors' dropdown in 16 colors, 256 colors, and high color (16 bit). It's saying it's on 16 colors, which it is, but it wont let me change it. When i try to change it the computer says it needs to restart, so I let it restart, but it doesn't change and it stays on the '16 color' option. It won't even let me change the screen area back to 800 x 600...it stays on the 640 x 480 option, and when i try to change that it does the same thing that the colors do (it restarts and stays the same). I would highly appreciate feedback on how to fix this problem. Thank you, very much, in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bearcatboy05

bearcatboy05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:58 PM

By the way, I have Windows 98. I don't know anything about the graphics card or how to see what kind of graphics card it has or anything. This computer was given to me a few days ago and i know virtually nothing about it except that it's running Windows 98. (I'm computer-illiterate)

#3 bearcatboy05

bearcatboy05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:15 PM

Actually I just found a list of 'Installed Display Drivers' under a DirectX shortcut on my desktop. So maybe DirectX is what my graphics card is. But the list of 'Installed Display Drivers' says:

-Standard Display Adapter (with drop-down)

-Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (with drop-down)

-SiS 5597/5598 (with drop-down)

Hopefully this helps...

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:51 PM

Seems as though you have lost your Display Adapter Drivers for some reason. Not to worry. Its nice that you gave enough information to suggest a solution. Many people post here without saying what we are trying to work with.

Got to the SiS Chipset Identification Online Utility and follow the prompts. You'll get the latest drivers for your system, including video.

Let us know how you make out.

Failing that you may be stuck in Safe Mode.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 bearcatboy05

bearcatboy05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:16 AM

Thank you very much for the reply. I went through the prompts on the link you provided and this is what I got...

Results

It looks to me like I have a problem because it's basically saying that I don't have SiS, but I do. What now??

#6 bearcatboy05

bearcatboy05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:18 AM

I'm having the feeling that I'm stuck in Safe Mode. Is this a big problem? And is it fixable?

#7 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:31 AM

I'm having the feeling that I'm stuck in Safe Mode. Is this a big problem? And is it fixable?

Hey there go to this site and download the program called "Everest Home Edition"

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

When you run it look in the display area in the program and it should say what type of video card you have. If it don't then try this program called "Belarc Advisor" it should work. You can get it here --

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

#8 bearcatboy05

bearcatboy05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:30 PM

I went to ‘SiS 5597/5598 Properties’ and it says, under ‘Device Status’ that ‘The device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 24.)’ And then there was an ‘Update Driver’ button on the window, and I clicked it. I went through the prompts and it asked ‘Do you want to install and run C:\\WINDOWS\TEMP\direct.b1?’ And so I clicked yes…and it says ‘Windows was unable to locate an updated driver for this device, but did find other drivers that should work with this device. You are already using the best driver for this device.’ And then it asks if I want to use the current driver (which is SiS 5597/5598), or install one of the other drivers. When I view the list of the other drivers, the only driver on the list is SiS 5597/5598. Obviously, they’re the same thing…but I chose the one on the ‘other drivers’ list. It then asks me to insert the disk labeled ‘Windows 95 SiS 5597/5598 Driver Disk’. But I don’t have it. What should I do?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:47 PM

I was going to find you a driver at driverguide.com but the site is down right now. If you register there when its up you can search for a driver for SiS 5597/5598. They have one for 98. It is 98 right?

When you do the update driver thing after you get the DriverGuide one, when it asks for a disk just point it to wherever you downloaded the driver to.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 bearcatboy05

bearcatboy05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

Well.....I actually just figured it out on my own. Haha. I found the installation program for the SiS 5597/5598 Video and Display Drivers. I downloaded it and extracted it to a floppy disk and I just reinstalled it after unistalling the current one. It worked perfectly with no problems or error messages or anything, and everything is back to normal now.

But thanks anyways for helping me guys. I honeslty thought i wasn't going to get any repies....lol. But thank you all very much. If i have another problem I'll definitely be back.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

Thats good news bearcatboy05. Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users