Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding a dvd burner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gpsv

gpsv

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

i was wanting to add a dvd+/-RW drive. I currently have a dvd-rom drive and a CD-RW drive. Should i add this third drive or should I remove any of the drive that are installed now ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Adding another drive wont hurt anything. It would actually help to keep them all in the computer.

By having the DVD-rw drive which is also a cd burner you can instead of sending the data to the HD before it goes to the cd, you could send it directly to the other disk.

This would speed up the cd burning time.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:02 AM

The CD-ROM would be redundent with the CD-RW and the DVD-RW, and most data cables will only accomidate two drives, I'd replace the CD-ROM with the DVD-RW and use the CD-RW as a slave unit for the DVD-RW as the master, cowsgonemadd3 is right on the money with the two saving time when it comes to burning CDs. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 17 July 2005 - 01:05 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 MartyGeek

MartyGeek

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:46 AM

The problem with the DVD burner, if it is one of the latest units, is that it will need to work at ATA66 minimum.

The existing drives will only conform to (max) ATA33 spec, I am sure. Using the rule that an ATA bus can only work as fast as its slowest device, the DVD burner will be slowed by the existing DVD ROM.

Personally, I'd get a PCI ATA card, and run only the burner or DVD ROM off this, to maximise throughput for the rest of the system, most importantly the Hard Disk Drive.

I have a similair problem in my system, but I overcame it by buying a SATA RAID mobo and making the system boot from a mirror created on the SATA channels.

The ATA card is definitely the cheapest way out, and the only way to guarantee the throughput speed for all devices:

DVD Burner -> PCI ATA Card (slave or master)
DVD ROM -> Motherboard secondary ATA channel (slave or master)
Primary HDD -> Motherboard primary ATA channel (master)

If the burner is only ATA 33, then the previous solution Posted should be AOK.

No matter what anyone says, I have always found it best to have only one device per (parallel) ATA channel. ATA devices are chatty little p#!@ks.

Sigh...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users