Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

retrieve my old os???? HELP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FVO

FVO

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

My computer got fried so itook out the old hard drive and took ownership of everything but i now have a invalid copy of vista i dont know how i got a invalid copy but this sucks so i got ubuntu (linux) and installed it ubuntu is a little to complicated. When i turn on my computer i have two options ubuntu or vista i choose vista it works fine i want to know how can i get the old xp os out of my hard drive and add it to the list of os's ive tried going to the boot menu and booting from the hard drive but it loads the xp load screen then flashes blue and crashes :thumbsup: ANY HELP IS HELP :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:47 PM

Your copy of XP...is tied to a system that you either no longer have or which no longer exists.

What was the manufacturer and model of the old system?

If you want to "add" XP to multiple OSes...the best thing would be to install XP first, IMO.

The settings and drivers reflected on your old hard drive...are for a different system and problems should be expected.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Intel® Application Accelerator - Moving a Hard Drive to a New Motherboard - http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009290.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users