Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Outlook from my old fried machine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

My old XP system is now in a drive enclosure and plugged into a USB port on my new Vista machine. I thought the Outlook files were in Documents and Settings, but the only two branches are All Users and Owner. I don't see Default User. Is that where they were, or am I looking in the wrong place? I've looked and searched all over the old drive and can't find them. Folder options is set to show hidden and system files.

Before I put it in the enclosure I had it plugged into an IDE socket on the new MB, and I booted XP but the directory tree looked the same. My OS did not fail, the machine just didn't turn on at all one day, so all the files should be there.

I do have an Acronis TI e-mail backup .tib, but I have had trouble restoring it to a new location. Anyone that knows ATI can maybe help me get it that way.

Okay, someone please tell me how dumb I am. :thumbsup:

EDIT: there is no local settings here: "C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"

Edited by RknRusty, 13 August 2009 - 04:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith Fawcett

Keith Fawcett

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:18 AM

Here is a good article on moving your Outlook data files: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/...1124801033.aspx

This site has a good list of where all your files are: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup2007.asp

Edited by Keith Fawcett, 20 August 2009 - 09:21 AM.

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

I got it. I finally managed to get my Acronis backup to cough it up. I made the backup the night before my system croaked, so I have a seamless history.

Thanks for the reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users