Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus has me baffled!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chayne77

chayne77

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

Let me just start from the beginning and give you the play by play of how everything began. I'm starting this thread because I could not fix the problem off of the internet.

- I was browsing the net on mozilla. I do not use IE. While I was on a site that i'm on all the time, MS DOS randomly loaded up and did something that I'm hoping to correct. It appeared and I could be wrong. It looked like it loaded a tmp file. I'm not sure if that helps, but that is was I saw. From that the following problems I started to notice.

- My desktop changed to a Blue screen with a black box in the middle saying something along the lines that my computer is at risk. In an attempt to get rid of the virus. I went to use Mcafee to scan for viruses. Since it did not detect the virus attacking my computer. When I goto do a scan the following message comes up. (an error has occurred; Scanning has encountered a problem from which it cannot recover, Here are the problem details: -Error starting on demand scanner)

- I also try to ctrl-alt-delete. Which it does not allow me to do. I found out on the internet how to correct this problem and now it works and I do not notice any funny processes.

-So my next idea was to run spybot. and when i did the following appeared: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

-So my next step was to to do a system restore in windows xp. When I went to do this, There are no system restore points to go back on. This is the first time I have ever had a system restore point I could not go back to. It appears as if I could click on the calender, but nothing happens.

-So I attempt to retry all of this in windows safe mode.

- When I load up into Safemode. I get an error msg trying to load logon.exe it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item..

- All of my anti-virus programs run the same as in regular mode. With spybot doing the Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. and mcafee giving me the error when it tries to scan.

-So I reboot again, and download Avira. This program does run and finds TR/dropper.Gen. It Patches what it finds, but the same problems keep persisting however, the desktop doesn't have the black box anymore. It does still have a blue wallpaper. Which was not my original desktop. and I do not have the options to change my wallp

-With the problems still persisting I go and download malwarebytes and install it. When It goes to load and start the scan it shuts down. Then when I go to bring it up again it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.ot

- Not sure if this matters but with spybot and malware after i get the windows can not access screen the icons picture changes to just a Window's window

- So I see somewhere else online that you can use combofix to fix your problems, when I goto load combofix... it starts to run but then closes down.

And that's where i am at now. As you can see I'm very confused on how to eliminate this problem. Any expert advice???? Please Help I do not want to reinstall everything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chayne77

chayne77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

Now in safemode i can not run the scan on avira. The program does load, but will not let me scan....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users