Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall Question?.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

My PCs Operating System is Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and fully up to date. How do I ensure that Windows Firewall is completely shut off. I have used Comodo as PC security for years now but after my last reformat I have had niggly little problems and have a feeling that Windows Firewall is somehow involved. After reformat and installing my videocard, soundcard and motherboard drivers I went to install a new copy of Comodo CIS which I had burned onto a disk prior to reformat. On attempting to open it I got a message telling me that the files were corrupt. I then switched on the Windows Firewall and installed a back up copy of Avira in order to go on line. Once online I went to Comodo and downloaded two copies of CIS v3.10.531. I then went offline did a scan which came up clean with Avira, I next unistalled Avira and ensured that all folders both open and hidden were gone from My Program Files and Application and Settings from all account holders as well as All Users in order to get it as clean as possible.

I then installed Comodo CIS v3.10.531 and the scan it did during installation also came up clean. Two days later I noticed by chance that although in Control Panel>Security Center it told me that Comodo was the Firewall and AV, when I clicked on the Control Panel>Windows Firewall icon it told me that Windows Firewall was switched on. I had seen a post at the Comodo Forums in regard to some Comodo installs not switching the Windows Firewall off, so I switched it off manually and that was that.

Since then I have had niggly little problems like popups telling me Comodo updates were available for download when there were none or telling me that Comodo had encountered a problem and needed to close which would then lock up task manager and I would have to crash reboot. On reboot a couple of times the Comodo AV definitions would revert to the install number 1145 instead of the most recent update. Most times these problems would be corrected by a reboot. As well as the AV scans I have also scanned my PC with SAS, MBAM, A-Squared, Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and Downloaded and ran the Beta version of Windows Security Essentials. I ran them all both in Normal and Safe mode and apart from 5-6 tracking cookies all came up clean. I thought that perhaps I had just been unlucky and got a particularly bug ridden Comodo download so decided to go for a clean reinstall with a new download from the Comodo site.

I uninstalled Comodo, got the Windows warning shield telling me no Firewall or AV was installed. I rebooted and then checked that all entries were gone from Program Files as well as Applications and Settings and used Autoruns to check that all Comodo start up entries had gone. While doing this I got the Windows shield warning saying that no AV was running but no mention of the Firewall not running. I checked in Security Center and Windows Firewall that they were off, then went ahead and tried to run the Comodo download on my desktop but it wouldn't open. I then decided to switch on the Windows Firewall + Avira and try to get some advice.

Prior to coming here I downloaded another new Comodo and checked that it would open which it does but I have a feeling that if I do then as soon as I switch the Windows Firewall off then it won't open. I would like some advice on making sure that all parts of the Windows Firewall is switched off. Is there anything or anywhere else I need to untick/apply as well as the box in Control Panel>Windows Firewall?.

Edited by bluesjunior, 13 August 2009 - 08:54 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but my advice is to use Windows Firewall. It is highly underrated and doesn't get the respect it should. If it is turned on and properly configured you're much safer than having a "bug ridden" third party software that causes "niggly" problems. I know Comodo is a fairly good product, but not worth headaches and potential security issue.

I've experienced a similar Windows problem, in Vista, with my wife's laptop. I have AVG installed and updated and running properly, but Windows insists that no AV software is installed. I tell Vista that I'm using AVG and to turn it on, which it appears to do but I still get those pesky little notices that no AV is installed. So it may just be an anomaly.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth. I do hope you can find a cause for this problem though.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

Windows Firewall in Vista is different from Windows Firewall in XP. As for Comodo, maybe you should try another firewall. Comodo has been known to have compatibility issues on occasion.

Edited by frankp316, 13 August 2009 - 11:02 AM.

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

Windows Firewall in Vista is different from Windows Firewall in XP.

I was not referring to Vista's firewall, I was merely making reference to how Windows' Security Center (Vista OR in XP) tends to interact improperly with third party security software. Turning the firewall off with anything other than Group Policy opens the door up for issues like this, which is why I suggest using Windows own firewall. It is more than sufficient for the job.

Edited by Eric RBA, 13 August 2009 - 11:11 AM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

Besides turning off Windows Firewall from Control Panel > Windows Firewall, you can disable Windows Firewall Service. To do so open Start Menu > Run and type services.msc and press Enter. Look up for Windows Firewall Service, double click on it and select startup type as Disabled and close the dialog by clicking OK.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Originally posted by frankp316,
Windows Firewall in Vista is different from Windows Firewall in XP. As for Comodo, maybe you should try another firewall. Comodo has been known to have compatibility issues on occasion.
I have used Comodo products for years on this PC with very few problems.

Originally posted by Romeo29,
Besides turning off Windows Firewall from Control Panel > Windows Firewall, you can disable Windows Firewall Service. To do so open Start Menu > Run and type services.msc and press Enter. Look up for Windows Firewall Service, double click on it and select startup type as Disabled and close the dialog by clicking OK.
This is the type of thing I was looking for, thanks Romeo.

I just looked into Services but the only entry to do with the Firewall is one called, "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing(ICS). Is this the entry you mean?.

Edited by bluesjunior, 13 August 2009 - 01:20 PM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Often times when the Windows Security Center does not correctly reflect the status of AV/FW it is because the WMI is damaged and the repository files located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem need to be deleted and then Windows will rebuild them after a reboot.

When I did this I was unable to delete the repository file in normal mode or safe mode. My account is an administrator account and I had turned off the services, but it still would not let me delete the file. I had to boot into safe mode and log in using the admin account that windows created upon install to do this.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:03 AM

I just looked into Services but the only entry to do with the Firewall is one called, "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing(ICS). Is this the entry you mean?.

Yes thats what I meant :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 14 August 2009 - 03:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users