Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hockey_fan

Hockey_fan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:19 AM

Hello, I have been trying to figure out this problem for days and I cant seem to figure out what the problem is.

First of all, I am using an Acer Aspire 3680-2354 Laptop, with 1GB ram.

I think I had a virus with my account on the laptop, where the Windows Explorer kept restarting at an endless cycle.
I deleted that account, I made a new one, and the problem isnt there anymore, its fine.

However, whenever I hook up my external harddrive into the laptop, I get these 2 error messages:

"Windows Explorer has stopped working"

"Windows Explorer is restarting"

Then the desktop would blink with its icons, and it would do this every 10-20 seconds.

Heres what I did:

I reformatted my external hard drive, first backing everything up on other computers, removing everything on the external hard drive, then I re inserted the files back onto the external hard drive, but when I plugged it back into the laptop, it still did the Windows Explorer thing.

I also scanned the computer using CMD, using the command " sfc /scannow". It appears I have corrupted files but im not sure if its related to this problem.

I scanned the external with AVG and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, but it did not show a sign for any harmful infections or viruses.

Also, I used flash disinfector, but it appears that nothing was different, it still had these error messages...

Summary:
- Exernal gets Windows Explorer restarting messages when plugged to laptop
- tried reformatting, did not work
- External Hard Drive did work on a Windows XP computer
- Scanned with AVG, Malware, did not find any infections or viruses
- Scanned with CMD, corrupted files are present (not sure if its related to external problem)

Please help, it would be very much appreciated. Like I said, Ive been trying to find out the problem for days, and I cant find anything to fix it.

Edited by Hockey_fan, 13 August 2009 - 12:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

I suggest running sfc /scannow, using the appropriate CD.

The CD must reflect the same SP level as your system currently does.

You can slipstream your current XP CD to include all updates, Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

#3 Hockey_fan

Hockey_fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

I suggest running sfc /scannow, using the appropriate CD.

The CD must reflect the same SP level as your system currently does.

You can slipstream your current XP CD to include all updates, Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

but im using windows vista. would it still work?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

I have Vista, but I don't use it and am not familiar with how it operates.

Folks at the Vista forum would be able to answer questions about repair efforts on that O/S.

Even though you've posted it as a hardware problem...I suspect that it's an O/S problem. From the similar situations (for XP users) I looked at on the Web, it's either an O/S situation or possibly malware.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users