Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless issue with XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Proser

Proser

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

Hi.

I have a home network with four computers (2 on XP, 2 on Vista), running off of a Netgear wireless G router, WPN824 v.3. My provider is Comcast.

I am running XP Pro on a Dell D620 (my backup while my Vista laptop is in the shop). I am confident I have no type of malware infection on this computer.

The two computers running XP are having constant problems, specifically, web pages either won't load at all (95%) or load immediately (5%). The reason I suspect XP as the culprit is because both XP computers have the same symptoms, and both of the Vista computers have no problems whatsoever.

On my system, I have: (1) removed all unnecessary programs; (2) disabled my McAfee antivirus; (3) defragged; (4) cleared all temp files, cache, deleted cookies, etc.; (4) disabled all unnecessary startups, as per BlackViper's XP startup suggestions (safe level); and (5) reset the TCP/IP stack.

When I plug directly into the router (or modem), I don't have any problems. I have spoken to Comcast on the phone and had a service tech come out, and they swear it is not a Comcast issue. I tend to believe them because, as I said, the computers running Vista work just fine.

The most perplexing thing is this: Whenever I download a large file, I'm able to navigate with near impunity. Pages load quickly, like they should. Occasionally, the download will stall and internet browsing stops working as well; it doesn't stall very often, maybe 4-5 times during a 1GB download. As soon as I pause and resume the download, everything again functions as normal, including web browsing. When the download is completed, I go back to having very limited ability to browse any web page. So currently, I have to be downloading something in order to do basically anything else on the internet.

Any help/suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

This line "When I plug directly into the router (or modem), I don't have any problems." has me a bit baffled. How are you connected when you have the issues?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Proser

Proser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

This line "When I plug directly into the router (or modem), I don't have any problems." has me a bit baffled. How are you connected when you have the issues?

Wirelessly. When I connect to the router with an ethernet cable, I don't have any issues.

If it matters, my wireless card is an Intel[R] PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Net.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the clarification =)

Both XP machines have the same wireless card?

Have you completely uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card drivers? And by that I mean going into Device manager and uninstall it from there. Then going into Add/Remove programs and uninstall all software in there. Rebooting and then reinstalling it all.

It sounds like there is an issue with the wireless signaling. The fact that you surf fine when you are DLing a file(i.e. keeping the connection "alive") and when you aren't DLing you are having surfing issues. I am not sure how to fix it tho lol. But a fresh install of the drivers is a good start.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Proser

Proser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the clarification =)

Both XP machines have the same wireless card?

Have you completely uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card drivers? And by that I mean going into Device manager and uninstall it from there. Then going into Add/Remove programs and uninstall all software in there. Rebooting and then reinstalling it all.

It sounds like there is an issue with the wireless signaling. The fact that you surf fine when you are DLing a file(i.e. keeping the connection "alive") and when you aren't DLing you are having surfing issues. I am not sure how to fix it tho lol. But a fresh install of the drivers is a good start.

I was just about to do what you suggested, when I decided to try a driver update first. That probably should have occurred to me earlier, but I'm just not very tech-savvy. Anyway, I installed the latest driver update, and the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users