Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P4 1.5Gz (Xp HE) way slower than 650 P3; was decent b4...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gp4Jesus

gp4Jesus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

Long story short-had Finally Fast, an AVG product, and malwarebytes* running "together."
* didn't know this was a real bad idea; speed was decent before I "added" malwarebytes.

I've since removed all of them (I think) but the P4 is still agonizingly slow. As I type (on that 650) I'm searching for remnents of those programs in "safe mode."

where do i find checkdisk or scandisk? any other ideas?

tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

Chkdsk is a disk error checking utility that verifies the logical integrity of a file system. As you use your hard drive, it can develop bad sectors which slow down hard disk performance and make data writing difficult. Chkdsk scans the hard drive and will check the files and folders for file system errors, lost clusters, lost chains, and bad sectors. When encountering logical inconsistencies in file system data, it will perform the necessary actions to repair the file system data.

Chkdsk will create and display a status report for a disk based on the file system and will list and correct errors on the disk. If used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive. Chkdsk scans the disk structures and disk surface for possible errors and inconsistencies in separate phases. During the first few phases, it checks the FAT or NTFS for lost clusters, cross-linked files and inconsistent directories. When these steps are completed, it asks you whether you want to run a full scan, during which it actually reads every single sector to prove that it is readable.

Chkdsk can be run from the Recovery Console (correct way), the command prompt or through the Windows GUI.

The main thing that keeps utilities like Chkdsk from running successfully is having other programs running in the background. Chkdsk will not check files that are being used by Windows so using Chkdsk in the Recovery Console with the /r switch is a way to resolve this.

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

Also see Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness and poor performance besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, too many browser Add-ons (toolbars), not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 gp4Jesus

gp4Jesus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

thanks for the input*.

Since the "slowdown" I've deleted unused software; will go into each user profile to delete the stuff the internet surfing collects. I will try the rest of your suggestions.
* familiar w/chkdsk from my DOS days

I'm confident it's not "age." It went from decent* to pathetic** over a weekend. I've had the computer over a year with it being part of a network about 9 months.
* fastest computer in the house to way slower than the slowest
** that's being nice

thanks

tony

#4 gp4Jesus

gp4Jesus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:34 PM