Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed a new harddrive and keep getting disk boot error msg

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tofer31

tofer31

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

i installed a new hard drive into my HP media center after my last one crashed. I had problems with the original os disks so i got new ones from HP. the computer has gone through the recovery system process twice and i keep getting a boot disk error please insert sytem disk and press enter. how do i fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

Have you been able to boot up Windows with the new HD since you installed it, or does it stop you short of getting to Windows where you would see the system disk error? What kind of connection does the hard drive have to the motherboard? (SATA, IDE?) The first thing you may want to do is get back into the PC and check that your connector cables are plugged in all the way on the HD and to the motherboard. You could also try changing out the connector cable to see if that resolves the issue.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:05 PM

Check the BIOS boot options...sounds to me as if they are still set to boot from optical drive.

Louis

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:07 PM

Have you removed the recovery disk from the optical drive prior to trying to boot into Windows?

#5 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

tofer,

It looks like you have a few viable options to work with. I think it would help to prioritize them for you.

1. Check the CD (or DVD) drive to make sure no disc is still in there. (This is most likely not the problem, seeing as your error message says there is no disk instead of a non-system disk, but this is the easiest first option to try.)

2. Boot up into your BIOS. How you do this will depend on your computer model, but it is most likely done by pressing the F8, Delete or F2 key prior to Windows loading up. You would see a message on your screen after your computer turns on that will indicate which key it is. After you're in the BIOS use the right arrow key to move over to Boot options, then scroll down to the Boot Priority option (or whatever wording seems to point to that option. You will want to make sure that your hard drive is the first boot option. Depending on your machine the way to do that differs, so just look for the on-screen instructions to do it. Make sure to press the proper key (F10 most likely) to save changes and exit. Your computer should reboot into Windows if this was the problem. If not...

3. Open up your PC and make sure that the cable connecting your HD to your PC is plugged in snugly at both ends. If it is already, then replacing the connector cables is an option.

If none of this works, then we'll try other options.

Edited by Eric RBA, 13 August 2009 - 01:42 PM.

#6 tofer31

tofer31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

thank you everyone for your help thus far. Eric RBA i did remove the disks so thats not th problem. I double check all connections and even put in new connection cords so thats not it either. The mesage (disk boot failure please insert system disk) comes up just after the memory test which is where i would hit the F10 button to get to the bios screen, and my connections are SATA. Also i did change the hd to first priority and still did the same thing

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

Did you install the SATA driver?

XP does not recognize a SATA drive natively...the SATA drivers have to be installed during the attempted install of XP.

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ows_xp_on_a.htm

Louis

#8 tofer31

tofer31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

i was installing vista but i have the problem figured out it was my mother board sucks but i thats life got a new computer thanks for all your impute in trying to help me.

#9 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for letting us know what the problem was and that it has been resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users