Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to uninstall Windows7RC & install XP pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

I purchased an OEM copy of XP Pro and would like to remove Win7RC and install XP Pro. What would be the least complicated way of doing this? I built the computer and originally had Ubuntu installed on it until I decided to tryWin7RC. Everything works flawlessly so far with Windows 7RC but I don't plan on buying a copy of the final release.

I've been told it is easy to upgrade, go from a older OS to a newer OS., but downgrading is a different beast. I have one bright idea :huh: . Installing Ubuntu to delete the Win 7RC OS,then installing XP to delete Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kinggw23

kinggw23

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

Why not just load the XP disk into the drive, restart, boot from CD/DVD, then format the drive where you want to install XP. No evidence of having another operating system once you format it. I have done it several times going from Vista to Win 7 Beta, to Vista again, then onto Win 7 RC. Though I have never upgraded an operating system, just installed over and over again, its easy. Just hate waiting for the updates to complete.

Good luck
Dell Dimension E520
750GB HD 4GB Ram
ATI Readeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit

Dell Inspiron 1501
80gb HD 2gb Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

#3 Jim P

Jim P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

Why not just load the XP disk into the drive, restart, boot from CD/DVD, then format the drive where you want to install XP. No evidence of having another operating system once you format it. I have done it several times going from Vista to Win 7 Beta, to Vista again, then onto Win 7 RC. Though I have never upgraded an operating system, just installed over and over again, its easy. Just hate waiting for the updates to complete.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I've have since decided to stick with Windows7RC.

Regards

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users