Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i cant go into yahoo chat or any chat room

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tanabear

tanabear

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

no chatroom will load for me. i cant even chat in yahoo chat. what can cause that? i have win95

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:20 PM

Hi how long have you had 95 for?
Have you only just started trying to go to chat rooms?
What amount of ram do you have?
how long have you been on internet?
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 tanabear

tanabear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

Hi how long have you had 95 for? several months
Have you only just started trying to go to chat rooms? yes
What amount of ram do you have? 16.0mb
how long have you been on internet?

Edited by tanabear, 16 July 2005 - 02:33 PM.

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:51 PM

hi as i thought 95 is not up todate enough to go on chat rooms, even going on internet would be a struggle, not enough memory left,as needs a lot of memory to do it. so if you want to go to chat rooms , then you will have to up your cpu,ram,and install 98 windows.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:30 PM

Most chat rooms employ Java. You may want to download the latest version of JavaRuntimeEnvironment from Sun Systems, install it on your computer, and see if that helps.
Remember to be particularly careful in any kind of public chatrooms, as they are potential sources of many kinds of malware.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:12 PM

hi as i thought 95 is not up todate enough to go on chat rooms, even going on internet would be a struggle, not enough memory left,as needs a lot of memory to do it. so if you want to go to chat rooms , then you will have to up your cpu,ram,and install 98 windows.

That is not true. Windows 95 is more than capable of going on the net and visiting almost every site out there.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

Remember to be particularly careful in any kind of public chatrooms, as they are potential sources of many kinds of malware.

In addition to that solid advioce, I would like to add the following: Be especially careful on public forums, as they are potential sources of incredibly bad information.

I think Grinler and jgweed have your back though. :thumbsup:

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:01 PM

Hi tanabear

In spite of our esteemed jgweed's advice I wouldn't put the latest version of Sun Java on that machine as it would bog down completely. You can still get the Microsoft version here. Only use this link:

http://www.itnet.org/ms/msjavx86.exe

and follow those instructions. There are supposedly some security concerns with MSVM (but thats a debate for another day). You should also get a firewall if you don't have one. Get ZoneAlarm 2.6 from here.

Those applications will work with your computer as it has limited resources.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users