Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing ONLY Windows Vista 64 from Recovery Disks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kris10

kris10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

I built my first custom desktop a couple of months ago and it's working "awesomely" (if that's even a word) but has gotten some Windows Antivirus Pro "malware" on it and won't allow me to do ANYTHING!!! Typically in the past I've been able to get rid of stuff like this but this time it's stubborn. At one point, I rebooted and not only did that program not try to start up....I only kept getting a bunch of command prompt windows that said something like "program is too big to fit this drive". I HATE malware!

Anyway...what I'm thinking I'd LOVE to do is see if there is a way I can use my recover disks on the desktop computer that I made from my new laptop that has Windows Vista 64bit running on it. Is that possible? Is there a way to find JUST the Windows Vista exe file on the recovery disks so I can just install that and then install my motherboard and display drivers from their individual disks? I don't want to install all the bundled software that came on my laptop but if that's the only way to get Vista on our desktop and the recovery disks will work then I'll do that. I'm just afraid of the drivers for my laptop getting installed on the desktop and messing it up when all I want use from the recovery disks is Vista. I'm currently running XP Pro on the desktop and would like to have Vista. I just reallllly don't want to have to buy it brand new when I have it on recovery disks. I would think there would be some way to get it from the disks, right?

Thanks in advance for your help. Looking forward to meeting some folks and learning more about the lovely world of "bleeping computers". =)

~kris :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

Welcome to BC
What you want to do will not work
Have you been to our [b]Am I Infected forum yet to remove the malware?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Here's a tutorial on how to remove it
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...s-antivirus-pro
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users