Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boots Up to Black Screen and Mouse, nothing else

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 navyreb

navyreb

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

I just downloaded and installed ad-aware as suggested on pc something or other . com, mostly because the tutorial was on this site. Now I'm having problems that are more os related than virus related. At the time problems started happening, I had internet explorer and windows defender running. Internet explorer quit suddenly, then the whole screen darkened or tinted and it said restart and cancel in the middle of the screen. I figured it meant that ad-aware needed me to restart, so I clicked restart. It started having trouble though. Everything froze just as I described it, except when I moved the mouse to the bar at the bottom, it would change back to its normal colors. I held the power down and turned the computer off, and when I turned it back on, things booted like they normally do when the power goes out or whatever, but it goes to a black screen with the mouse, which moves just fine, and stays there. The screen saver can come up, but that's about it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

Are you familiar with booting into "Safe Mode"? If so, try the following:
  • Restart your computer and immediately upon turning it on, press (tap) the "F8"key. You may have to do it a couple of times but if the keyboard beeps at you, you should have done it right. This initiates the "Safe Mode" startup process.
  • You will see a black screen with several menu choices. Choose "Safe Mode" and press enter.
  • Your computer will boot to the Safe Mode desktop. Click "Yes" if it asks you if you want to continue.
  • Once in Safe Mode, you should be able to uninstall Ad Aware. If you can not, follow the same procedure for booting into Safe Mode, except that when the menu choices appear, choose "Last Known Good"
Lets start here and see if we can get you up and running with the least amount of trouble. If this doesn't work, I still have several tricks up my sleeve, but you should always start with the simplest process to recover your system.

On a personal note - I do NOT recommend the use of Lavasoft Ad Aware for anything. I stopped using it when they stopped supporting Ad Aware SE. I had too many problems with it - including system seizures.

#3 navyreb

navyreb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

Are you familiar with booting into "Safe Mode"? If so, try the following:

• Restart your computer and immediately upon turning it on, press (tap) the "F8"key. You may have to do it a couple of times but if the keyboard beeps at you, you should have done it right. This initiates the "Safe Mode" startup process.
  • You will see a black screen with several menu choices. Choose "Safe Mode" and press enter.
  • Your computer will boot to the Safe Mode desktop. Click "Yes" if it asks you if you want to continue.
  • Once in Safe Mode, you should be able to uninstall Ad Aware. If you can not, follow the same procedure for booting into Safe Mode, except that when the menu choices appear, choose "Last Known Good"
Lets start here and see if we can get you up and running with the least amount of trouble. If this doesn't work, I still have several tricks up my sleeve, but you should always start with the simplest process to recover your system.

On a personal note - I do NOT recommend the use of Lavasoft Ad Aware for anything. I stopped using it when they stopped supporting Ad Aware SE. I had too many problems with it - including system seizures.

It's been booting up so that safe mode is an option already because it says "windows did not shut down properly" and choose how to boot and all that. I've tried all three safe modes, but none of them really helped. I just did what you said, except that I didn't hear the beep and I hit F8 a bunch of times, and the options it gave me were startup repair and start normally so I did startup repair. After it searched for problems, I selected restore. It's attempting repairs right now. Oh and what virus removal tools do you recommend?

Edited by navyreb, 12 August 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#4 navyreb

navyreb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

It went back to before I installed and all is well! Thanks so much for the help!

P.S. Since the ad-aware icons are no longer on my desktop, does that mean my computer completely deleted them? And what do you recommend for virus protection/ scanning?

Edited by navyreb, 12 August 2009 - 07:20 PM.

#5 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

For virus protection:

AVG Free Edition or AVAST! Home Edition

For Spyware Removal / Detection:

Spybot Search and Destroy
Windows Defender
Sysinternals RootKit Revealer
Sysinternals Process Explorer
Sysinternals PsTools
Trend Micro HiJackThis

Check with the knowledgeable folks in the malware removal forums for more info. The above list is my personal toolkit but it is not a complete list of everything I use...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users