Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

As a reluctant new Vista owner, i need tips about...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

With every system from 9x to XP, we've always had My Documents where I put everything personal. My wife and I are the only users, so we just use the same account. I always had a subfolder in My docs called "Wifesname" Documents, and put a shortcut on the desktop right under mine.

Now I see there is a folder called Rusty, (my account name) that contains Documents, which in turn contains Pictures, etc., plus there is a folder called Public, that also contains all that stuff. I'm guessing that one is available to all users in a machine with multiple accounts, and the other is private. But since we use only one account, what are the advantages to using one folder over the other? Just for the sake of easy transition, I've been forcing it to look like my XP with my desktop shortcuts to Computer, Network, and personal folders.

Also, is there any way to stop that IRRITATING "Do you wish to continue?" popup? I really don't need it interrupting everything I do.

Thanks, XP Lover :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hi RknRusty,

If you talking about the User account control Pop up which appears when opening certain programs, then
this can be disabled, see this link on how to do this...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Hope this helps...

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

Hi RknRusty,

If you talking about the User account control Pop up which appears when opening certain programs, then
this can be disabled, see this link on how to do this...

Hope this helps...

That worked fine except for the warning every time I boot and the red security center shield always in the system tray. I hid the shield. I think the Vista version I have is a little different from the one in that link, because I couldn't find it with a search for UAC and it looked different, but I found it easily enough. Thanks

#4 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Can you let me know what message do you get near the security center shield in system tray??

If it has anything to do with this...

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

Yep, that's it. Thanks, I no longer have the red shield in the system tray.
I appreciate the help.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:49 AM

I appreciate the help.

See how cool Vista can be once you start learning how to work the kinks out? Just think, just about the time you get it all learned, it will be time to change over to Win7.............. :huh:

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

That's exactly what I plan to do with my Best Buy free upgrade dealie. I would get the 7 release candidate now if I wasn't afraid of blowing that deal. Might have to look into the details and see exactly what's involved. I loved my XP. :huh:

#8 Geek Aviator

Geek Aviator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

I appreciate the help.

Good to learn that the problem is solved...Thanks again for the feedback.

Just to let you know, heard that Win 7 is windows vista with the loop holes plugged...don't know
how far that is true. If this is the case then a few vista tips will definitely come in handy when upgrading
to windows 7.

Check this link on vista tips...

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/

#9 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

What a great site, thanks. I was so busy with the details of getting things tuned, I hadn't thought to look closer at where you had sent me for help. That's an info gold mine, or for Vista, I should say coal mine. :huh: It took me a long time to tune my XP, but Vista isn't as intuitive to me... not yet anyway.
Waggle the wingtips when you fly over, Geek.

Rusty

#10 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

You better check the wording on that "free upgrade to Win7" offer. The last several I saw were a disc of the Win7 RC, not the real Win7..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users