Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Problem + Computer Crash + No Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Steffanie

Steffanie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hello All,
Last night my anti-spyware/malware program, ESET Smart Security, suddenly caught 3 trojans. I don't even remember the site I had been looking at; I was admittedly just surfing the net without paying much attention. After the trojan alerts, every time I attempted to go to a different website, the page said 'Connection interrupted/Connection was interrupted while negotiating a connection.' There were no pop-ups, and no system tray/desktop icons appeared. When I noticed ESET's alerts, I immediately disconnected from the internet and began running the program's spyware sweep. It found only four "infiltrations," which were cleaned and removed by the program. But, when I attempted to re-launch Firefox, the page said 'Connection interrupted/Connection was interrupted while negotiating a connection' once again, even though my Network Connection information said my computer was connected to the internet at 100 Mbps. So I re-ran ESET, and it didn't find anything.
Finally, I decided to use ComboFix, since I've used that program in the past with great results. I let the program do its thing, and waited until it was completely finished before trying to use Firefox again. The exact same message appeared for every website I tried to go to: 'Connection interrupted/Connection was interrupted while negotiating a connection.' The next thing I know, the computer acts as though it's all tied-up/lagging, and then a blue screen came up right before the computer restarted itself. Upon restart, I got a Windows message saying the system had recovered from a serious error. Over the course of the night--while not being able to connect to the internet--the computer crashed two more times.
Today, I still cannot connect to the internet using that computer. All other computers/laptops in my household are connecting fine, with no obvious problems. So I'm at a loss as to what else is wrong with my PC, and I'd really appreciate some help.

Edited by Steffanie, 12 August 2009 - 02:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

Since you used Combofix, try the repair at the bottom of the tutorial page first

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users