Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infested--need help

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 crappola

crappola

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Last week I clicked on a link. Instantly I was infected it seemed. Mcafee kept finding something then eventually became disabled. All virus scan and antiadware software became disabled. Can't "system restore".

Online scanners won't work either.

Found braviax.

Disabled braviax and a couple other things via msconfig selective startup.
Still infected.

Purchased stopzilla. Found several things including win32kstream.

Hijack this even shuts down.

Only trend micro sysclean allowed to scan. Ineffetive.

Un and reinstalled malware anti.

All this even in safemode.

Nothing works.

What's my next move?

Please help.

Sorry. It appears I posted in the wrong forum. Writing via blackberry. Can I move this to the appropriate place? How do I do that?

Edited by crappola, 12 August 2009 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

Hello,I believe this will run.. Also I am moving this to the Am I infected forum from AntiVirus, Firewall.

Please download Sophos Anti-rootkit & save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Note: If using the vendor's download site you will be asked to register with MySophos so an email containing an activation link can be sent to your email address.

Be sure to print out and read the Sophos Anti-Rookit User Manual and Release Notes.
  • Double-click sar_15_sfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
  • Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
  • A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now".
  • Click Yes and allow the driver and its randomly named .tmp file (i.e. F.tmp) to load if asked.
  • If the scan did not start automatically, make sure the following are checked:
    • Running processes
    • Windows Registry
    • Local Hard Drives
  • Click Start scan.
  • Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
  • When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
  • Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
    • Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
  • Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
  • A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will finish when you restart your computer. Click Restart Now.
  • After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
  • Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
  • When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
  • This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\.
Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Clean out your temporary files.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 crappola

crappola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Thank I will get started on that.

Also I apologize for this is now a double post. I was too hasty and posted nearly identical post. I will post on this from here on out.

Thanks again

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

Ok, i was reading down the forums. So I didn't want to waste another responders time and have to delete that too
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 crappola

crappola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

There was nothing recommended for clean up.

This is what I got. Rather short, it seems.

----

Sophos Anti-Rootkit Version 1.5.0 © 2009 Sophos Plc
Started logging on 8/12/2009 at 13:44:37 PM
User "rcatris" on computer "MTH-57"
Windows version 5.1 SP 2.0 Service Pack 2 build 2600 SM=0x100 PT=0x1 Win32
Info: Starting process scan.
Info: Starting registry scan.
Info: Starting disk scan of C: (NTFS).
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\winlogon.exe
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\system32\MRT.exe
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Desktop\LOST AND FOUND\ANTISPY\Norman_Malware_Cleaner.exe
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Desktop\LOST AND FOUND\System checks\Autoruns\autoruns.exe
Hidden: file C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcods.exe
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.MTH_ENG\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6UPI1ZOE\BoC_i-7qfCVC7F1myisPInVqR4mMViRWAN7kAzotrfe7wEEflS1L9xkD-moQMTTJcW3d_0WCe5nyFD9sY99ufo6kIN2U5WuZeRlacUY-taoQYERJKD0fVjs7U_ipEQEv3VPOGSoAIBMyW[1].txt
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.MTH_ENG\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\I1PSQBG3\ibVZHOrYVcwkMeKPOLnki1PAwKNuEwaWc9CmAoBHTg1g__IlOYEk7loro36lGwUmgs-zckI0W0l6NZUXCLQj_at3BVX7bKXr_w1qDqIuLTdLq1mGzrzjrvndE8jqkk5GTvyPE_zdSIn3o[1].txt
Stopped logging on 8/12/2009 at 14:19:40 PM

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:55 PM

No, this is the sneaky file. Rerun Sophos and Remove this..
C:\WINDOWS\system32\scecli.dll
Reboot normally..

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#7 crappola

crappola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

Great. Working on that now.

Btw, should I re-enable braviax via selective startup or will this process eventually weed that out via malwarebytes?

Also...I noticed that this time around Sophos found something in my temp folder called "perflib_perfdata_e54.dat". Should I have sophose remove that as well?

One more thing. I have the installation malwarebytes exe file already (From a previous installation). Can I use the same file, rename it, put it on my desktop, then run the install?

Thanks again.

#8 crappola

crappola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2615
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

8/13/2009 10:13:06 AM
mbam-log-2009-08-13 (10-13-06).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 166624
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 14 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tapi.nfo (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

-----------------------

FYI...

STOPzilla continues to open on startup. This time around it found 10 infections. Looks like 9 registry infections and a file. Should I remove these via STOPzilla? I don't want to show any wrong or misleading info on any logs I post as a result of removing these files via STOPzilla.

#9 crappola

crappola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

This is what I've done since the last post...

Via MSConfig, I re-enabled Braviax.exe and a couple other things. So startup is now "Normal" and not "selective".

On startup, STOPzilla found and removed the infections a few things in the registry as well as the Braviax.exe file.

I attempted to run Hijackthis to get a log file and such. It still won't load

McAfee still won't update and needs to be re-installed.

A couple months ago I got a program called "Autoruns.exe". That still won't open either. There is also an "Autorunsc.exe" file that appears to scan or do something of the like in DOS. But that shuts down after a few seconds as well.

Right now I'm running a full scan with STOPzilla.

What is the RIGHT thing I should be doing at this point?

Thanks.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

Ok I need you to rerun Sophos and post the new log. Let's also look at another Rootkit log if this will run.

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive.
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

Edited by boopme, 13 August 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#11 crappola

crappola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:48 PM

Thanks. Here they go...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Started logging on 8/12/2009 at 13:44:37 PM
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Desktop\LOST AND FOUND\ANTISPY\Norman_Malware_Cleaner.exe
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Desktop\LOST AND FOUND\System checks\Autoruns\autoruns.exe
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.MTH_ENG\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6UPI1ZOE\BoC_i-7qfCVC7F1myisPInVqR4mMViRWAN7kAzotrfe7wEEflS1L9xkD-moQMTTJcW3d_0WCe5nyFD9sY99ufo6kIN2U5WuZeRlacUY-taoQYERJKD0fVjs7U_ipEQEv3VPOGSoAIBMyW[1].txt
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.MTH_ENG\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\I1PSQBG3\ibVZHOrYVcwkMeKPOLnki1PAwKNuEwaWc9CmAoBHTg1g__IlOYEk7loro36lGwUmgs-zckI0W0l6NZUXCLQj_at3BVX7bKXr_w1qDqIuLTdLq1mGzrzjrvndE8jqkk5GTvyPE_zdSIn3o[1].txt
Stopped logging on 8/12/2009 at 14:19:40 PM

Started logging on 8/13/2009 at 8:58:22 AM
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_e54.dat
Stopped logging on 8/13/2009 at 9:34:31 AM

Started logging on 8/13/2009 at 15:14:36 PM
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\msgr3en.dll
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB931784\SP2QFE\ntoskrnl.exe
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB931784\SP2QFE\ntkrpamp.exe
Hidden: file C:\SDFix\apps\procs.exe
Hidden: file C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-74610903-2046248978-926709054-3253\Dc3\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Desktop\LOST AND FOUND\Firefox Setup 3.5.2.exe
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\gdiplus.dll
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109F10090400000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518\NLSLEX.DLL_1033
Hidden: file C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB956572\SP3GDR\ntoskrnl.exe
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\octoshape\octoshape.exe
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\octoshape\pmv302-0811070-0-main.dll
Hidden: file C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Desktop\LOST AND FOUND\ANTISPY\stinger1001624.exe
Stopped logging on 8/13/2009 at 16:15:07 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ROOTREPEAL © AD, 2007-2009
==================================================
Scan Start Time: 2009/08/13 16:20
Program Version: Version 1.3.3.0
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
==================================================

Drivers
-------------------
Name: A9.tmp
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\A9.tmp
Address: 0xBA60A000 Size: 6144 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: dump_atapi.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_atapi.sys
Address: 0xB5263000 Size: 98304 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: dump_WMILIB.SYS
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_WMILIB.SYS
Address: 0xBA5E0000 Size: 8192 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: nwfilter.sys
Image Path: nwfilter.sys
Address: 0xBA4BC000 Size: 15808 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: rootrepeal.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rootrepeal.sys
Address: 0xB2C3B000 Size: 49152 File Visible: No Signed: -

Hidden/Locked Files
-------------------
Path: C:\hiberfil.sys

Path: C:\JPM\Jpm\BLI.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\CDV.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\DWGSCALE.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\PUR.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\Sugimura.lsp:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-1080XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-1200XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-120XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-128XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-192XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-240XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-360XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-480XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-600XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-720XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-840XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VP1-960XP.LSP:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: C:\JPM\LISPS\VTA.lsp:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}

Path: c:\windows\temp\sqlite_esxiemjqmoohtdj

Path: c:\windows\temp\mcmsc_9ok8zr08cbdgak6

Path: c:\windows\temp\mcmsc_cwmw7iyl72arisz

Path: c:\windows\temp\mcmsc_trkpnbvk6mpcxq8

Path: c:\windows\temp\mcafee_dvgttzbbqmxhn3y

Path: c:\windows\temp\mcafee_htrb87bweycbfyh

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS011AC.log

Path: c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\search\data\temp\usgthrsvc\perflib_perfdata_95c.dat

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\DCHWLK1H.8RV\011W1NB3.C90\manifests\clickonce_bootstrap.exe.cdf-ms

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\rcatris\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\DCHWLK1H.8RV\011W1NB3.C90\manifests\clickonce_bootstrap.exe.manifest

==EOF==

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

What did SDFix find as the logs are changed?

#13 crappola

crappola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

I believe I ran SDFix that before I posted to this forum (8/6 I think). I'm not sure why it's showing now, but there was no activity for today except for what STOPzilla found (but I didn't remove).

What I did do this morning was allowed everything to startup after I changed the MSConfig selective startup mode. Before I came to you, I went into MSConfig and didn't allow Braviax.exe and a couple other things to start up.

Sorry.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

OK, Is the PC still in the same condition?
You may need to completely remove the McAfee and reinstall.
McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool: MCPR.exe
Actually, I would like to see a Files scan from Rootrepeal while McAfee is uninstalled

Was MBAM run from safe mode?

#15 crappola

crappola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

The PC appears to be in better shape with the exception of McAfee and a couple apps like Autoruns and Hijack This not functioning.

There is no more web page redirecting. And STOPzilla isn't finding anything except those SDFix files.

MBAM also works now. Not sure if its because of renaming the install file or because I'm another step closer to a cleaner PC.

MBAM was NOT run in safemode.

I will uninstall McAfee and run a "files" scan with Rootrepeal and report back tomorrow.

Will I have any issues with the McAfee license after I reinstall (after the Rootrepeal scan)?

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users