Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A funny thing happened on the way to court...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

As part of my job, I get to be the plaintiff in eviction cases arising from people not paying their rent on time.

I was in court with my attorney yesterday, looking to boot out a guy who hadn't paid his rent since April. This gentleman had apparently seen one too many episodes of Matlock because he stood up in court after losing and loudly proclaimed to me and my attorney that he would "see you in court!"

The judge, with infinite patience, reminded him thus: "Mr. -------, you are in court."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

I was in the local District Court once, and a homeless man, awaiting his case to be heard, jumped up from his seat while the Judge was dealing with another case and roared "Hang the Judge...hang the Judge!".

The whole Courtroom broke out in laughter, even the Judge couldn't help but to join in before having the man removed to sober up.

#4 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

:thumbsup: good stuff, wish I had a story to tell while at court but since I haven't been in one or near one I don't.

#5 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

OBJECTION!

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Was attending to some business many years ago. While waiting for my case to be call`d a woman was call forward to state her case in a "writing bad checks" case. She plead "no contest", was found guilty, and fined.

You guessed it. She offered to pay the fine with a check. The whole room went nuts, the judge included.

True story.

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

:thumbsup:

This would have to be a Classic?

I was to appear in the Supreme Court of Queensland, (in Australia it is acceptable to represent yourself}, as I did. I turned up in Court in a Suit with my papers under my arms and awaited the call up. The other side was there in their glory, and when my name was called out, they were amazed to see me dressed like them. They were more amazed to find the Judge excuse himself from the Case after he realised he was actually a Customer of my Demolition Yard that was the Subject of the Trial.

BTW, they later Lost.

:flowers:

#8 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

I am not sure if this is urban legend or true:

Lawyer to witness:"Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?"
Witness (Doctor):"All my autopsies have been performed on dead people."

#9 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

Abacus -- We're allowed to represent ourselves, too, in America. It's generally ill-advised though, and judges will ask 2-3 times just to make sure it's something you want to do. Better to have competent and experienced representation than go it on your own and fail (glad you won, though).

Also, I think it's a CYA thing. There's been at least one instance where a guy represented himself and appealed that he wasn't given adequate representation... and managed to get a re-trial out of it. (I don't think this loophole is still open, though.)

I don't have the source, but there's a famous quote about the man who represents himself has a fool for a client. =P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users