Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU temps seem too high on new machine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

I have a new computer with a Pentium Dual-Core CPU E2210 @ 2.20GHz. The motherboard is manufactured by emachines, Model EMCP73VT-PM. This machine only has one fan in the case which is the CPU cooler. The empty fan vent in the rear of the case has no fan, but there is a plug on the motherboard that looks like a fan plug. It is within easy reach of that vent, however I'm reluctant to plug a fan into it until I can find out for sure.

The CPU cooling fan always runs at low speed and the core 0 temp at idle is always around 49c (core 1 is always a few degrees cooler). That seems too hot for idle to me, but this is my first experience with dual core CPUs. It was several degrees cooler while I had the side panel off the first few days I had this machine. I watched some videos to see what happened and after a couple on youtube the temp went over 60c. I wanted to see what y'all thought about that. Is there a way to change the fan speed?

I will check the emachines site, but I'm not expecting much help.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks,
Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Go into the BIOS first and see if there are any options to increase fan speed. As it is an OEM board, you might not have any fan speed adjustment. The possibility exists that the fan speed is automatically controlled and in order to keep noise down the fan speed is limited.

Is there a fan RPM readout in the BIOS? If there is, check that speed against the fan RPM listed on the fan sticker. Your fan might already be a normally low RPM fan at max RPM already.

Since you seem to have extra fan headers on the motherboard, plug that CPU fan into one of the other headers and see if it's speed increases. You might have to disable "Halt on Fan Speed Error" or "CPU fan Alarm" in the BIOS to get the computer to boot.

No need to worry about fan headers on the motherboard. Most larger case fans come with molex-2/3pin adapters included. I prefer to run larger fans from a molex connector vs a motherboard case fan header.

OEM coolers can be mediocre performers. I have an E5200 (at 3.0ghz)on the wifes build that idles at 42C with the Intel stock cooler. Quite possible E-Machines uses an even cheaper/worse performing cooler on their setups.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 August 2009 - 11:26 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

Add a case fan, size it right to fit the 4 holes around the vent. Plug into the motherboard, right now you have only the power supply pulling the hot air out of the case. Hold your hand at the back of the power supply and feel the heat?

What model of emachine is it?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 haun

haun

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

maybe this is because i have a lap top and all, but i idle at ~53*
(Intel duo core 2 T5800)
i would kill to idle at 49*
Annnnd you're, asking, me...

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

maybe this is because i have a lap top and all, but i idle at ~53*
(Intel duo core 2 T5800)
i would kill to idle at 49*

Glad to hear that. I was suspicious that it was designed obsolescence; you know sell'em so cheap so it's the only thing poor folks can afford, and make it cook itself and die in 3 years. :flowers::thumbsup:

Seriously though, I know people laugh at emachines like they used to do at Hyundais, but I loved my last one. It might have been my fault it fried. Last time I put thermal paste on it a year ago, I couldn't remember how the fan was mounted and I put it on so it was pulling air off of the CPU. I think this one is pushing air over it. I'll look closer before I swear to it. It's an emachines ET1810-03

So you think that 3 prong empty socket on the MB is a fan supply?

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

So you think that 3 prong empty socket on the MB is a fan supply?

It should be labeled either "FAN" or "CASE FAN" on the motherboard.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

I finally found the label, it said System Fan. That plug is 3 prongs and the CPU fan plug is 4 prongs. Both show up in Speedfan and BIOS and the cpu fan is spinning at 1223 RPMs while the case fan I put in spins at about 2385. I've never noticed either one change speeds, but the core 0 temp stays about 45c now. I couldn't find any way to change the speed in BIOS, and nothing I do in Speedfan has any effect either. But I feel better now that I have that case fan pulling heat out.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

Fixed speed fans are plain jane but cheap and effective, variable is just something else to mess up.

Keeping the case cool makes everything happier and last longer.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users