Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet card conflict

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kim M.

Kim M.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hi everyone, my problem is this: My mom's phone line was recently affected by close lightning strikes. It was enough to render the dsl modem useless, which in turn seems to have also affected the on board ethernet port in her computer since it was connected to the modem at the time. When I tried to connect to the new modem via the ethernet port, the modem/router did not recognize her computer, so I bought and installed a new PCI ethernet card. Now the problem is that the computer recognizes the new card but will not start it. When I connect the modem to the new card, it recognizes the attachment, and the card shows activity via the green lights it has, however, it shows a code 10 error, "This device cannot start" within the device manager. I've run the troubleshooter to no avail.

While the old ethernet port is unresponsive, the computer still recognizes it as functioning hardware that's working properly. I tried uninstalling the old port, but it wouldn't allow me, saying that the computer needs it during boot-up. So then I thought disabling the on board port would make the new card work, but it didn't. I also tried putting the new card into a different slot but got the same error. My first impulse was that there's an IRQ conflict from having both ports running, even though the on board one isn't responsive, but I have no clue how to go about finding out.

I've attached a screen shot of the device manager, showing the old port disabled and the new card with an error.

Computer specs:
Emachines: T2240
Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, sp3
Celeron 2.20 GHz
768 MB Ram

New ethernet card:
TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR 32 bit 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI adapter

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is so frustrating! Please let me know if more info is needed.

~Kim

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi everyone, my problem is this: My mom's phone line was recently affected by close lightning strikes. It was enough to render the dsl modem useless, which in turn seems to have also affected the on board ethernet port in her computer since it was connected to the modem at the time. When I tried to connect to the new modem via the ethernet port, the modem/router did not recognize her computer, so I bought and installed a new PCI ethernet card. Now the problem is that the computer recognizes the new card but will not start it. When I connect the modem to the new card, it recognizes the attachment, and the card shows activity via the green lights it has, however, it shows a code 10 error, "This device cannot start" within the device manager. I've run the troubleshooter to no avail.

While the old ethernet port is unresponsive, the computer still recognizes it as functioning hardware that's working properly. I tried uninstalling the old port, but it wouldn't allow me, saying that the computer needs it during boot-up. So then I thought disabling the on board port would make the new card work, but it didn't. I also tried putting the new card into a different slot but got the same error. My first impulse was that there's an IRQ conflict from having both ports running, even though the on board one isn't responsive, but I have no clue how to go about finding out.

I've attached a screen shot of the device manager, showing the old port disabled and the new card with an error.

Computer specs:
Emachines: T2240
Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, sp3
Celeron 2.20 GHz
768 MB Ram

New ethernet card:
TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR 32 bit 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI adapter

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is so frustrating! Please let me know if more info is needed.

~Kim

Unplug all hardware from the 120V mains. Open the case and reseat the new PCI NIC. I suspect it is not seated properly in the slot. Add XP drivers if required.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

A bit elementary...but did you install the proper drivers for either/both of these NICs?

As for IRQ conflicts...I doubt it. Those pretty much went out with Win 9x, IMO.

Louis

#4 Kim M.

Kim M.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

Louis: Yes, the driver cd was installed prior to hardware installation.

DaffyKantReed: I have reseated the card several times in the available slots. It seats correctly and is getting power, and the computer is recognizing it, but it fails to start the device.

Is the on board ethernet port, even though it's not working, causing a conflict with the PCI card? I'm not able to uninstall the on board port through device manager.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

A system can support multiple NICs with no problem...many DSL users have muliple NICs (one for the DSL connection, one for home networking).

If you want to disable the onboard NIC, you should be able to do so in the BIOS somewhere.

Lightning can damage the motherboard or any other component connected at that time.

Try installing the driver after the new card is in place in the PCI slot. You might also try a different PCI slot.

Louis

#6 Kim M.

Kim M.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

Yeah, think lightning has gotten the best of the computer. Things are starting to slowly screw up now...slowing down, sound not working properly. Time for a new tower.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users