Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New motherboard for HP Pavilion a1410n

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andur

Andur

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

So after a long period of confirming that I need to badly upgrade my computer, I'm trying to find a new motherboard for it.
Originally, all I was trying to find was a new processor, however my motherboard being an Asus A8N-LA, the port for a processor is LONG outdated, so I'd need a new motherboard itself in order to get something more high end.
The computer model itself is an HP Pavilion a11410n, Windows XP Media Center edition. Been trying to find a new motherboard that would work, as I've said, but I need some help figuring out what I should get. Can anyone lend a hand?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

Well...how much money do you want to spend (max)? And indication of this will dictate what some will suggest.

Do you have any bias for/against Intel/AMD processors?

Do you intend to get a new power supply?

You will probably have to purchase new RAM/memory...but the cost of such is relatively cheap these days.

Also...there are combination motherboard/CPU/RAM combinations available.

There are also combinations that provide a new case and PSU...making your hard drive and optical drive the only items which will need to move from what you have...to what is possible.

Current system specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00607954

Louis

#3 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

As far as money goes, I'd prefer anything around $200, but honestly a few suggestions around that range, and around what would be a good choice that would last longer, as far as needing to upgrade.

I'd prefer AMD processors, since that's the one currently in my computer at the moment, and it would probably be better to leave it as a procssor made by the same company.

If need be I will get a new power supply, unless my current one will suffice.

Memory as well, if I need it, unless the current memory I have can be used again.

As far as combinations go with the motherboard/CPU/RAM, I'd rather just find a new mother board with a better processor, even a dual core would be an improvement since mine is only a single core processor. Really I'd like to go a way that would only require me getting the motherboard, and if need be a new power supply, memory, and most likely more fans. I'd like to be able to keep the hard drive, video and sound card, and such. Otherwise I'd just buy a new computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Worth a look, IMO:

http://www.pcdirectsource.com/Item.cfm?ID=1964

http://www.pcdirectsource.com/Item.cfm?ID=2463

You don't need to generally worry about NIC, sound, video, USB...those are often onboard functions (if not always), provided by the motherboard.

Louis

#5 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

True, though I'd like to be able to keep my old card, since it works pretty well already, though I should have mentioned it needs a PCI express slot. Though both have that, I think the second one looks best, as far as memory and such. This is a media center rig, so obviously not the best for gaming, and I'm trying to upgrade it so that it can run the games coming out for PC (Like World at War, which doesn't run at all, Fallout 3, which has lots of crashing, etc). Second one you linked to I'm liking, since it meets most minimum requirements, but any motherboard suggestions good for gaming computers would be nice as well, any price.
Also the two you linked to are dual cores, correct?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Yes, the X2 signifies dual-core.

There are a few basic links for getting ideas about components, IMO:

www.pricewatch.com

www.newegg.com (not much for older parts)

www.tigerdirect.com

www.bizrate.com

And the place I linked to doesn't seem bad.

Louis

#7 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

Ah, thanks for the links. :thumbsup:
Yeah I think I've got a good motherboard, though any other suggestions with quad-core processors would be helpful, I've found some but, iffy about it.
Only other problem is the power supply. I don't know if the motherboard I'm leaning to would work with my power supply, and I can't seem to figure out what my power supply is, or what it's compatible with.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:51 PM

I'm not sure what you think $200 buys when one is talking about newer computer parts...but you can do price checks on such at the sites I mentioned.

Louis

#9 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Have been, ended up deciding with this motherboard, the one you linked to before:

http://www.pcdirectsource.com/Item.cfm?ID=2463

I've decided as for a processor, such as a tri- or quad-core, I'll get at another date, a dual core processor is fine for now, still an improvement. Since my current is only a single core, a dual would be better. Obviously no memory with it, but I'm getting two 2 GB cards since my current memory isn't compatible. No operating system either, but I have disks for Windows XP. Though since I'm reusing the hard drive I don't think I'll need them, but never know. Everything is settled, the only problem now is trying to figure out if I need a new power supply or not, since I'm using this: http://www.cputopia.com/hp-480w-hp-pavilion-a1410n.html but can't figure out if the card I want to get will work with it. Other than that, I think I'm set.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Sounds like a good decision :thumbsup:.

I have two AMD older X2 systems (Athlon 64 X2 4400 and Athlon 64 X2 5000) and I've been trying to think of a reason why I need to buy a newer motherboard/CPU combo...I've not thought of a good reason yet :huh:, these work just fine for the things I do (surf, email, video-editing, graphics-editing, burning CDs, etc.), all mundane tasks which are easily executed by the systems.

I don't game, so I don't spend time trying to buy this and that...to be able to play this and that.

RAM is cheap, I would maximize the RAM to whatever the board supports, be it 2 or 4GB. I have 4GB with XP Home 32-bit in each of my systems.

Re the power supply...that PSU is dated and limited in terms of connections...I'd spring for something like http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...3&CatId=106

I've had several Ultra PSUs (including the one depicted) and I have confidence in them. The lifetime warranty is a good feature, just in case.

Good luck :huh:!

Louis

#11 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

Lifetime warranty would be good, indeed, was planning on going for it.
I'll go with the power supply you linked too, looks compatible with the board. With all that solved, I can now get what I need. Thanks for the help with this :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

We...all the members/visitors here who try to provide such...like to help, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users