Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Streamlining Home Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steveh8204

steveh8204

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

I have 2 PCs (Laptop and Desktop) which are connected wirelessly through a Netgear router. Whenever I connect from my Laptop and try to change/access files the explorer is really slow. Even opening folders takes about 5 seconds.

Transferring files takes approx 1 min for 2mb, is this normal or do I need to configure the network somehow?

I also have an Xbox 360 wired into the router and the speed with this doesn't seem to be an issue.

My Laptop has Comodo Internet Security and my desktop has Zonealarm with regards to firewalls and the router has WPA security enabled.

My knowledge of Networks is very limited so all I can remember about initially setting it up was through the XP (both machines) wizard.

Do I need to adjust either firewall at all?

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

Doing all of that through wireless, your speeds are about right. Going wired is the only real way to make the transfers faster.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 steveh8204

steveh8204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:18 AM

Doing all of that through wireless, your speeds are about right. Going wired is the only real way to make the transfers faster.

The internet seems to download at a much quicker speed though on both PCs, even though these are still operating on wireless. This was what initially made me wonder why transferring data across my LAN was so much slower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users