Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Restarting Itself

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nisage

Nisage

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:30 AM

I was hit with another virus, so I did the usual scan and delete. But during one of the full scans, I left the computer alone for a bit, and when I return, it somehow restarted itself. Now it wont go onto the desktop, it'll start, ask me if I want to run in safe mode and other versions of safe mode, or if I want to run normally. No matter what I choose, it'll restart again. Before it does restart, a weird blue screen appears with words on it, I can't read since it's only up for half a second. The virus wouldn't let me open the program that opens when you press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. It made a weird background picture, it was blue with a black box in the middle, and it had red words talking about an infection. It wouldn't let me do a system restore. Also, in that icon list in the bottom right of the computer screen, there was a red circle which had a white X in it. I though I got rid of it with the virus scanner, but I guess not. Also, weird question, what happens when you finally enter Safe Mode on the computer, and it resets itself a couple of minutes you are in Safe Mode trying to put any/all things important onto a flashdrive, and is a System Recovery the same as a Reboot, losing everything you have on the computer?

Edit: I can't get into Safe Mode anymore. When I got in it, I tried to put everything important onto flashdrives, but a stupid window messege kept appearing asking me if I wanted to comtinue with Safe Mode, or something like that, basiclty a Yes/No messege. Thanks to that messege, it stopped the transfer from computer to flashdrive. Then, it restarted itself, in Safe Mode, how does that happen? What does a System Recovery do exactly? It's button F10 when the computer is loading, what does it do? I might try it if it'll help. I'm basicly stuck in a loop where the computer takes me to the Windows logo for about 10 seconds, then it restarts.

Sorry if I repeated something in twice, I'm a bit in a rush using someone else's computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

System manufacturer and model?

<<I was hit with another virus, so...>>

To me, that sounds as if you routinely get infected.

System Recovery that operates from the keyboard...is defined by the manufacturer of the system. Check your owner's manual for details.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2009 - 01:10 PM.

#3 Nisage

Nisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

System Recovery that operates from the keyboard...is defined by the manufacturer of the system. Check your owner's manual for details.

Louis

It's an HP computer, no idea what model it is. I've been hit 2 times last week, so yeah, kind of. I don't know where the owner's manual is, the PC belonged to someone else a few years ago.

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:54 PM

Louis

It's an HP computer, no idea what model it is. I've been hit 2 times last week, so yeah, kind of. I don't know where the owner's manual is, the PC belonged to someone else a few years ago.

To find your model number
right click on MyComputer
Click Properties
Midway down screen that comes up you'll see manufactured by Hewlett Packard
Underneath is model #

#5 Nisage

Nisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

So that's where you find it, goos to know, But I'm unable to get to the Desktop, it resets at that logo screen with the loading bar. When it shows the Windows XP logo.

#6 Jacob Norris

Jacob Norris

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

This exact problem happend to me about a year ago... There was absolutely no way to do anything because it keeps looping.

I beleive that blue screen that you see is called "the Blue Screen of Death" I had another problem with my computer and every once in a while it would freeze on that window so I was able to read the whole thing :thumbsup:

If you still have the operating system disc, I would just suggest re-installing windows *With Back-Upd* If you want to save all your files...

I have other options, but that would be the simplest way to do it...

I believe I did a combo-fix for it b4 and a High-Jack this Log file b4 as well... but nothing there helped me with this problem

#7 Nisage

Nisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

"The Blue Screen of Death", nice name for it :thumbsup: I dont think I have the disc. The computer belonged to someone else, so I'm guessing they lost it. A little question, what do you mean by "*With Back-Upd*"? A new message screen has appeared, it says, "NTLDR is missing, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart". Guess I shouldn't have tried to enter Safe Mode again. What does this message mean?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

Various links for Ntldr iiissing message, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=n...iss&aqi=g10

Louis

#9 Nisage

Nisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

Some say reboot with the CD, but basicly a reboot. Hope nothing bad happens when I do the reboot. Quick question for another computer. I can't enter the Windows Firewall settings, this message appears when I try to enter....
"Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings."
But when I restart that computer, the message is gone and I can enter the Firewall settings again. Any idea how this message appears?

#10 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

... Quick question for another computer. I can't enter the Windows Firewall settings, this message appears when I try to enter....
"Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings."
But when I restart that computer, the message is gone and I can enter the Firewall settings again. Any idea how this message appears?

I'd suggest starting a new thread since this is a new topic about a different computer and a different problem. Can get confusing when topics are mixed. :thumbsup:

Edited by tork, 23 August 2009 - 01:54 PM.

#11 Jacob Norris

Jacob Norris

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

sorry, I totally forgot about replying to this thread... if you create a back-up. (alot of programs will do this for you) but you usually have that option with the operating system disc.

haha... actually, that the "ntldr is missing" thing happend to my computer just recently, I just fixed it... check out my whole topic on the thing, I actually went into safe mode and now that what I had... it took alot of time to figure it out, but all worth it now.

here is my whole topic on the deal.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241263/ntldr-is-missing-no-options-need-help/

====
I hope it helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users