Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SLI or Upgrade more cost-effective?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlfaWolf04

AlfaWolf04

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:27 AM

Generally, if I bought a high-end card today, would I get better FPS for my dollar if I SLI in the future when games start to run at lower FPS? Or would it be better to simply upgrade to a newer card when the old one starts getting slow? I'm trying to decide what kind of motherboard to purchase for a new build, and whether or not I will need SLI capabilities is a major factor in my decision. I am okay with running games at mid-range resolution, if that makes any impact on the decision.

Also, if I SLI an older card, would video memory potentially become an issue?

Thanks!

Edited by AlfaWolf04, 12 August 2009 - 03:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stealthchicken75

stealthchicken75

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

If you're planning to upgrade in the near future (say a few months down the road), then going the SLI route can be a very cost effective plan. The problem with SLI is that you generally need the exact same type of card for it to work properly. The other thing to keep in mind it that SLI doesn't scale all that well. It's entirely dependant on the game and drivers you're running with. MOST users are better off by going the single card route and spending a decent chunk on one good card rather than trying to deal with the hassle of setting up an SLI system.

These days there's also a lot of really good performing cards at the mid-range level. Specifically the nVidia GTX 260 and the Radeon 4850/4890 come to mind.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

SLI or Crossfire works well with some games. Not all games scale well with multiple cards so it is suggested you blow you cash on one high-end card. If you have the extra cash, a second GPU can improve things a bit. Also, you can get graphics cards that are already SLI'd or Crossfired so you don't have to worry about if it is supported or not. ATI's X2 cards and NVidia's x95 cards are two that come to mind.

3939.png

#4 AlfaWolf04

AlfaWolf04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Sounds a lot safer and like a lot less hassle to deal with one card at a time, so I'll go that route. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users