Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

will not run in 800/600 256 color in ME, plus other issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hungrymonkey

hungrymonkey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:33 AM

I have an older Pc that is running ME. It had been in storage for a couple of years and when I finally was able to start using it again I started having issues. (there were issues before It was boxed up actually).

anways, its a P3 667 mhz, with an asus mother board. a VooDoo 3 Agp video card. The monitor is a veiwsonic (older big one)

I had been having issues with a windows error that prevented me from booting. but somehow I think that I figured out that it was the modem (after days of beating my head against the wall) So I removed the modem from device.config and physically removed it, then I could get it to boot. everything was fine until I decided to put in a wireless pci card.

Then the computer decided that It no longer wanted me to see anything other than a black screen. The monitor is on but there is nothing showing. I have checked the connections, removed the graphics card and re=seated it. and yes there is power.

the last time I was in safe mode I changed the settings to the lower resolution and less color and it booted and worked. Until I changed it back to a higher resolution. then it started doing the black screen again.

Am I having conflicts with the networking car and the video card? I started to think that the antannae for the card was causing interferance. So I removed it with no success on the picture returning.

Its been years since I have screwed around with this computer. I actually bought a new one and banished the old POS to the garage (I wanted to play CD's and mp3's while I worked on my car)
the problem with the garage is that there is an abundance of heavy tools for me to grab and bash the living hell out of this thing.

anyways, where should I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:29 AM

Have you tried reloading the video card drivers? Also if the motherboard has intergrated video then disable that. WindowsME can be very very contrary if you know what I mean. A lot of times it would lose my video card drivers if it had been turned off for long period of times.

#3 hungrymonkey

hungrymonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:03 PM

thanks, I will try that.

I was able to keep the monitor from going black by going into safe mode and setting the resolution to a lower setting. Then I goofed with the refresh rates and it has stayed on. I honestly just want to get some files off it, then reformat.

I am also trying to set up a WAN between the garage and my house. Its giving me fits though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users