Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SOUND SUDDENLY DISAPPEARED !

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:21 AM

Hi everyone, I did a defrag on my PC today, and now my sound does not want to work.

I think that something may have gotten reset, but I have no idea where to look to see if thats the trouble or not.

I am running Win XP with SP 2 installed. I did this so far >>

START > control panel >> sounds and audio devices = on the volume tab it says No Audio Devices.

I know that is wrong though as I had not been having any trouble with sound before I did the defrag thing.

Can someone tell me where to look to reset my PC so that it knows how to talk again? Thanks

:thumbsup: Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:31 AM

First off, please tell us what sound card you have, so you can check to see if maybe the drivers were uninstalled/corrupted.

To see your sound card, please download everest. It is a tool used to identify and diagnose installed system hardware/memory/storage devices. Pretty much the core components of a pc. You can download it here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

once you open everest, do as the follows.

On the left side, click the multimedia tab, then click on PCI/pnp audio. It will then list your sound card, It should link you to the manufacturers site where you can download new drivers. If it doesnt, just do a google search for the company and then navigate to the part of their site listed as drivers.

hope this helps.

#3 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:37 AM

Hi doing a defrag should not of uninstalled your sounds. to see if it is still there somewhere go to device manager and see if there are any yellow o or? on any thing .

If there is not then go back to sounds and click into sounds its self to see what is showing in the bar at top then select any sound and press the button to see if you can hear anything. if you can then click apply and that should now get sounds back.

keep us informed.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:51 AM

That is weird, sound drivers disappearing after a defrag

alright night all.

Edited by Techsomething, 16 July 2005 - 03:52 AM.

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:16 PM

Hi techsomething, and thedon57, Thanks for your replies

techsomething you say >> That is weird, sound drivers disappearing after a defrag

alright night all.

:thumbsup: I kind of goofed here! I left out a rather large "key" piece of information here, and that is =

I have been posting in the malware forum, and had just put in a fix with HJT a couple of days ago. Part of the last step was to reboot and then defrag my HD.

I followed the instructions, rebooted into safe mode, and ran the defrag utility.

Then when I rebooted again, into normal mode, I noticed that I didn't have the musical tunes that I always hear at startup. Once I was back up and running I discovered that I had no sound anywhere!

I downloaded and ran EVEREST as techsomething suggested, and I guess that this is what you wanted to know >> VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller.

I drug out, and rummaged through my Device Manager and found this entry >>

Advanced AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller

I poked around, double clicked it, and it's page popped up. I looked on the drivers tab, clicked update driver, Poof, a download got started, and the wizard came on and installed >> Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Drivers (WDM)

"RAT'S!" Still no sound. So what do I do next, got any advice?

thedon57, you said to look for yellow "0's" or "?" well I found some of them, however they were not connected to any sound devices. Just thought that I would mention that too.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 04:00 PM

hi where those yellow ? 0, in PCI because that is to do with your motherboard and that helps with the sounds, what you need is the systems disk that you install after downloading windows, insert it in cd select setup, and that will load any files and drivers missing. remember SYSTEMS DISK NOT WINDOWS XP..
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:02 PM

His soundcard cant be pci because its onboard. I also dont reccomend doing a full windows repair just for some audio files are missin.

And you say the download got started immediately?

Have you tried your sound cards offcial site? i looked around and got this far:
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageI...ID=1&CatID=1010

I think you should select the first option because thats what i think your sound card is. Download and installt he drivers from there.

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:05 PM

Hi thedon57, No the "?" were next to one of my anti-virus programs. It is a program that I downloaded, and windows setup wizard is always wanting to search for it's hardware. I guess that's why it has the "?" by it.

Hi ted, I'm a her, by the way, and we can rule out any fix that calls for any disks because I have none, of any kind.

When I open the "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" thing I see a list of seven different devices, they are:

Device Name ..................................................................Type

1.) Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)...................Sound Vid...
2.) Audio Codecs..........................................................Sound Vid...
3.) Legacy Audio Drivers...............................................Sound Vid...
4.) Media Control Devices.............................................Sound Vid...
5.) Legacy Video Capture Devices.................................Sound Vid...
6.) Video Codecs.........................................................Sound Vid...
7.) Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device........................Sound Vid...

I just want to be sure that you know what I have to choose from. When I high-lite and click properties of # 1.) and # 7.) the box "Device Usage" has Use this device (enable) in it. The other five have that box grayed out.

I wanted you to know this before I dashed off to download anything, so what do you thing? :thumbsup: Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 17 July 2005 - 11:13 PM.

#9 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:11 PM

If it were me I would right click on the following and choose remove this device and reboot and let it reinstall itsself --

Device Name Type

1.) Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM) Sound Vid...

3.) Legacy Audio Drivers " "

5.) Legacy Video Capture Devices " "

I am not sure about this one if you are using dial up for your internet connection.

7.) Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device " "

#10 NyCb0i

NyCb0i

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:21 AM

Since TEB said that his sound card is onboard.

You should tell me the brand and model for motherboard
and I'll search drivers for you to reinstall if I can.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:10 PM

Anything that shows up in the device manager with either a yellow exclamation point or a red question mark means there is a problem in your system and should be addressed one way or another.

#12 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:05 PM

Hi All, thanks for your input.

Enthusiast that was a yellow "?" next to one of my AV programs. The windows wizard hunts for my "new hardware" from time to time, and is always trying to install my AV program, then telling me that it needs a CD, which I do not have because I downloaded that program from the internet.

If I understand it correctly, the question mark just means that windows got bummed out because it couldn't install the hardware.

I know that the AV program is up and running like it should be.

Thanks, Wendy

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:33 PM

Hi All, thanks for your input.

Enthusiast that was a yellow "?" next to one of my AV programs. The windows wizard hunts for my "new hardware" from time to time, and is always trying to install my AV program, then telling me that it needs a CD, which I do not have because I downloaded that program from the internet.

If I understand it correctly, the question mark just means that windows got bummed out because it couldn't install the hardware.

I know that the AV program is up and running like it should be.

Thanks, Wendy

There is still something wrong because it's seeking an installation that it should not be seeking.

What AV program is it trying to install hardware for?

#14 ~overkill~

~overkill~

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:47 AM

hey guys, what about the possibility that the irq and port settings were reset during defrag? Its happened before, and that may explain the device conflicts in other areas

#15 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:23 AM

Hi again it still has something to do with the AV, because as said in first place there should not be any yellow 0 or ? anywhere, but if wendy thinks shes knows best then, i guess we cant help her, somehow there is a conflit between sounds and AV..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users