Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu "Favorite programs" doesn't show

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gitty

Gitty

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

When I go to my start menu just recently, my most used "favorite" programs don't show up anymore.

I tried restarting and looking at techguy forums but what they were saying didn't help

This is what it looks like:

Posted Image

Not my screen shot but that's what it looks like.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

Right click the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, select properties, then in the window that opens, select the start menu tab at the top.

Make sure both lines highlighted below are checked, click apply and OK.

Posted Image

#3 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

If you also mean on the right hand side of the Start menu.
You need to go one step further. Click Customize and tick Favorites menu > OK > Apply

Posted Image

Edited by Bartster, 12 August 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#4 Gitty

Gitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:48 AM

Right click the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, select properties, then in the window that opens, select the start menu tab at the top.

Make sure both lines highlighted below are checked, click apply and OK.

Posted Image

Yeah those are checked, I already did all the basic stuff to see why.

Seems bigger then that.

Just reinstalled the OS several days ago.

Any other help?

Kinda miss having it.

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

Not sure if you tried this.

Navigate again to the window in my post above, click Customize. In the window that opens, click Default Settings > OK > Apply > OK.

I understand that the image you posted in your original post is not from your computer but have you any entries listed under Internet and Email in the start menu?

If not, the only other thing I can think of is to create another Administrator Account and see if you have the same problem there, if not , transfer all your personal data over and delete the problem account.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

@Gitty

Do you use CCleaner? If so, do you have Start Menu shortcuts checked to be cleared by CCleaner?

#7 Gitty

Gitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

Tried your idea RedDawn, the default settings in customize didn't work.

And yeah the screenshot i posted has the IE, outlook, and control panel at the top. mine has 2 icons at the top: firefox and windows mail

and tork yes i use ccleaner thats what i was thinking it was cus i think it happened after i used it for the first time since i reinstalled my OS

but i went to it and looked and the start menu shortcuts isn't checked to be cleaned.

#8 Gitty

Gitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:21 AM

bump

anyone have any ideas?

#9 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

Gitty,

I see in another thread that you use Advanced Systemcare, I would put money on it being responsible for your Start menu problem.

I would be very cautious using this program.

#10 Gitty

Gitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

Yeah but I started using Advanced SystemCare after it started happening.

Anyway, they came back somehow like last night lol =] (the favorite programs)

So i suppose its fixed.

Anyway today my computer froze for the first time ever, i restarted and tried to start normally and got a flash of a blue screen or black i dont remember with a bunch of stuff on it, not normal stuff.

So i restarted in safe mode and used my registry backup. (I only use CCleaner to clean the registry)

And that seemed to fix the problem.

It seems like CCleaner is causing some registry issues.

Why is it doing this? It never has before.

----

Oh and btw, how do you feel about Advanced SystemCare. Do you think I shouldn't be using it?

I appreciate your opinion

thanks

Edited by Gitty, 17 August 2009 - 11:43 PM.

#11 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

I briefly tried Advanced SystemCare a while back, but wasn't very comfortable running it on my computer and removed it after only an hour of testing. Sometimes these sort of programs can just lead to more problems, especially registry cleaners, which I believe one is also included in Advanced SystemCare.

If you intend to run an optimization program such as Advanced SystemCare on your computer, make sure you fully understand the changes it wants to make and never let it just automatically fix things it believes to be problems.

Advanced SystemCare does not live up to its name and could, if used incautiously, cause more problems than it would fix. The automatic tasks that it performs are unacceptable because the program does not request permission from the user. The poor startup performance of the system is another point to note and to the program's suggestion that NOD32, WinPatrol and Outpost processes are questionable is another unacceptable aspect of Advanced SystemCare. Users who want this kind of system utlility would be well advised to look elsewhere.

Advanced SystemCare: Brighthub review.

IObit Advanced SystemCare Forums will also give you a good indication of some of the issues this program may cause.

Many may find optimization programs useful, they're just not my cup of tea.

Glad to hear you got your Start Menu sorted, must have been pesky Gremlins at work :huh:.

PS: Not sure if you've seen it before but a good article below on Reg cleaners.
Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

#12 Gitty

Gitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

k thanks =]

im just gonna stop using advanced systemcare.

ur right the registry is a pretty tricky thing to clean,especially when it tried to do it automatically without actually checking things

Ill check out that last link you provided

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users