Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp in Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rehana

Rehana

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

Can i use windows XP in widow vista laptop.

How much hard drive i need to run vista updates and at fast speed.

Or do i need to increase RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

We'll let the experts add to what I say, but if you want both operating systems and to choose which one boots when you power up, yes you can do that. The hard drive will have to be divided into another partition where you will install XP, and it will be like it's on its own drive.

For Vista to work well, you'll need at least:
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB of system memory
40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

It will not run well with the bare minimum 1GB of RAM memory, though. 2 or even 3 is much better. Most new hard drives have plenty of room to divide it into partitions, but 40 and 15GB free disk space is pretty cramped. It would boot and run but you wouldn't have much room to store aplications and data.

XP runs flaelessly with 1GB of RAM and takes only 1.5GB free space on the drive, but like Vista, you need more room on the drive to actually use it.

RAM memory = speed. HD space makes little difference in how fast a computer runs unless you have a really cluttered or crummy drive.

As long as you have a comfortable amount of disk space to put them, your updates will not be an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users