Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Ghost 2003, spanning disks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rig_Rat32

Rig_Rat32

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:48 AM

Running a old home built pc with an Abit motherboard and a 233 mhz Intel cpu. 128 mb ram. Have one IBM 18 gb scsi internal (boot) drive and and old 5.25" Seagate 10 gb external scsi drive and a Matshubleepa CW-7508 8x burn cd-r (scsi internal). Never had any problems burning with Easy Cd Creator v4.x. Using Windows 98SE and an Adaptec AHA-1540U controller.

I recently started having boot up problems but can get past them using scandisk but I figured it's about time I backed up my data on the internal drive and start thinking about replacing it as I don't think this one will last much longer.

I installed Norton Ghost 2003 and backedup (to cd-r disk) the smaller 10 gb external scsi drive with no problems in less than five minutes. However, when I attempted to backup the larger 18 gb internal drive, It required 2 disks to do so. Everything went well with disk #1... when it finished, I was not ever prompted to insert disk #2 (cd-r). I went ahead and put the 2nd blank disk into the drive but was unable to get it to resume burning the image file. I have a choice of backing up to cd-r disk or either hard drive and it will work perfectly if I backup to either hard drive. However, I'm needing my backups on cd-r disk. Finding help on Symantec's site is a challenge to say the least. I read there most the day and found nothing that will offer any clues as to what to do to fix this problem.

I would certainly appreciate anyone's advice.

Edited by Rig_Rat32, 16 July 2005 - 12:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~overkill~

~overkill~

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:31 PM

well, there should be a button on the backup editor which gives a choice on one disk(zip) option, or multidisk laYERS. I couldnt find it on the tutorial and im not gonna back up mine just for the heck of it...my advice would be to use the editor on the cd rom, click to a certain point, go back, see where it is, put a little more, etc. Pain in the butt but at least you will know where you left off. (you are doing this from the norton backup log, right? You may also try to zip the backup folder and see if it fits on one disk...18 g might do it

#3 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:37 AM

OK #1;Perhaps you could ghost the image to on the smaller to the larger disk. F-
disk/partition the 18;you're only going to get 700 Mgb on CD,and unless using
good burning software which supports spanning....?98se doesn't have any wizard
to do compressed backups or spans so you need the software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users