Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Lacie a good make of External Hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eogmp3

eogmp3

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:47 PM

Hi,
I am buying an external hard drive. I have found a good price on a 250GB Hi-speed USB2.0/FIREWIRE Lacie (129 Pounds Sterling). Are Lacie a good make? There is a similar Western Digital for slightly more money - are they better?

What about Maxtor and Freecom?

I have heard of people buying IDE drives and Harddrive enclosures - this seems to work out at roughly the same price as buying a ready made model - what, if any, is the benefit of doing this?

thanks for your time,
-eogmp3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:51 PM

I have been reading mixed reviews about Lacie.

As for maxtor and western digital, they have always worked well for me

Is there a reason you are buying an external hard drive? IDE drives will give you much better performance.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 08 September 2004 - 01:46 PM

Two advantages come to mind, eogmp3, In this way you can have more hard drive space in addition to the basic limit of 2 in your machine. Those IDE drives in the machine (simply the ones connected to the IDE ports on your motherboard) are quicker because they are closer to the processor, but any external units are not all that slow, especially using a firewire to your USB port the same way you'd plug in a keyboard. (some details differ, but in essence...) Typically I'd use an external for, in the case of a 120Gb unit, 30,000 songs. Data that wouldn't require a lot of processing power as say 3D animation construction, complex games or video editing. Those I'd use the IDE drives for.

Using an external case with a drive compatible with those in your machine provides you more benefits.
  • they are cooled independent of the main machine
  • they can be used in the main machine at a point in the future if you so desire
  • to some extent, space utilization in your room is given options.
The Maxtor & Western Digital are industry standards and you get the same benefits you get when buying a Chevrolet or Ford instead of a Sterling or an Citroen. :thumbsup:

You can also bear in mind setting up a new system as you intend to, just putting a pair of 250GB HDD's into it at $140.00 per. (Maxtor Diamond Plus 9's, current sale price at Office Depot)
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users