Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locate files from prev installed OS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zaxdad

Zaxdad

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

I recently rebuilt this computer and added a new SATA HD and used my old IDE HD (D & E) as a secondary drive. I have files saved on the desktop of this other OS that I need to access. When I go to the drive and try to open the folder for that old profile I get the message "Access Denied" I have tried to change permissions to gain access but no luck so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zaxdad

This topic should be in the Win XP section sorry for any confusion. If I can get assistance to move it thanks.

Edited by Pandy, 11 August 2009 - 08:17 PM.
Moved from Windows 95/98/ME ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

Try this: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#3 Zaxdad

Zaxdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

Thanks Louis, when I right click the folder and goto properties the only tabs available are: General\Sharing\Customise. None of these will allow me to open the folder?

I can open the other folders there (all Users and Guest) and access the desktop but this was the only profile that was password protected.

Zaxdad

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:38 PM

Did you UNcheck option for Use simple file sharing under Folder Options?

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

For taking ownership of files in XP Home, you must be in safe mode. That is the only time that you will have the security tab when you bring up the properties for the file.

#6 Zaxdad

Zaxdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

I rebooted into safe mode and all permissions are set to "allow" for that folder. I still cannot open it. The properties for this folder also say that it contains 0 files and 0 folders. This is very strange as all I did was add a new SATA HD and installed windows on this drive. The old operating system on my old drive was never touched and never started. I dont even think I can boot from that system anymore?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users