Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did my harddrive fail?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Acayex

Acayex

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

Yesterday, my computer just crashed via blue screen. Didn't get to read it as it just restarted the computer. Now every time I start it, it'll crash and restart near the end of the OS load bar (Windows XP Home) showing the blue screen for a split second. Doesn't matter if I choose Safe mode, last known config, etc. The result is the same. At the moment I'm downloading and will attempt to use Knoppix to see if I can access the hard drive. Unfortunately I lost my XP CD

Specs: Windows XP Home SP2
Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 3.0GHz LGA 775 Single-Core EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3000F
CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model CMX1024-3200PRO
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
ASUS P4S8X-MX 478 SiS 661GX Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Nvidia 7600 GT 512 MB AGP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

Download the diagnostic tool from WD's support site
You also might want to test your memory
http://www.memtest.org/

Edited by garmanma, 12 August 2009 - 05:26 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

It helps if you can read the BSOD causing the reboot. Step 1 is disabling the auto reboot feature.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/h...autorestart.htm

Louis

#4 Acayex

Acayex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

I'm unable to actually get to the desktop of that PC. Is there anyway to disable automatic restart via BIOS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users