Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not sure this can be done!!!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bomkata

bomkata

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

ok ill try explain this best i can.

what i have is a dsl modem bridged to my linkstys router which is serving a few pc's. what i want to do is take my 2wire and make it so it is an access point for the other side of my house.

so the 2wire would get the wireless from the linksys then allow what ever is connected to it to get to the internet.

is that something that can be done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

I understand what you want to do but the info can't flow that way: Your 2Wire makes the connection to the DSL and the Linksys does the routing. You can't then have the 2Wire do wireless. So you'll need to reverse it. Turn on the DHCP and wireless on the 2Wire and turn off the DHCP on the Linksys. Also if you have the Linksys set up to make a PPPoE connection for you(basically entering your user name and PW to connect to DSL for you) you might have to change that back to the 2Wire..but not 100% sure on that.

Make sense?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 bomkata

bomkata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

so your saying make the 2wire my first accesss point . then config the linksys to pick up the wireless single so i can use the linksys on the other side of the house?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

What is the model number of the 2Wire and Linksys router?

Because I was assuming that the Linksys isn't a wireless router. Am I wrong for that assumption? If you are talking about connecting the 2Wire to the Linksys via wireless connection, I don't believe those two pieces of equipment have that ability.

If the linksys router is a wireless router, you can place them on opposite sides of your house wired together and use the wireless of the Linksys.

If the Linksys isn't a wireless router, then you need to turn the Linksys into a switch by turning off the DHCP server and turning on the 2Wire DHCP and its wireless capability.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 bomkata

bomkata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

its a linksys wrt54g
and the 2wire is a 2701

both of them are wireless and im trying to connect them with out a cat5 or cross over cable or any cable. i want to see if one can get the wifi signal from the other and then serve what ever is plugged into it.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:13 PM

This site will explain what you need to do. But as you will read, its not going to work with the 2Wire and Linksys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users