Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get On Any Microsoft Web Sites

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

Howdy,

I have been trying to get on a few of Microsoft's live discussion (forums) sites all day with no luck.

Here is an example of what happens. Windows One Care site. http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/categories/

The page is slow to load and all I end up with is a screen like the one below.

Posted Image

The above happens regardless of which Microsoft site I try.

Any ideas ?

Dennis :thumbsup:

XP Home, I-E 8, SP-3

Edited by Dennis H, 11 August 2009 - 06:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

I think I may have figured this out.

I believe Microsoft has taken the One Care chat forums down from the Internet due to the fact that they will no longer be selling subscriptions for One Care.

Dennis

#3 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Using the link you provided, I was able to view the website without problems. Try it again.

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

No luck . I tried it 5 times.

Here is something strange. I changed my One Care password this morning.

If you noitice in the above sceen shot, in the upper right corner it says sign in.

When I click that, a sign in box shows up that shows my correct e-mail address and than asks for my password. I enter my new password and I get the same screen but instead of where it says sign in, it shows my One Care forums user name. If I click on that I get the same screen.

I think something got messed up when I changed my password. ???

If I Google Microsoft One Care and try to get on any site that mentions One Care I get the blank sceen.

Edited by Dennis H, 11 August 2009 - 08:40 PM.

#5 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

When you sign in, does it show the logo for "Windows Live" on the left side of the screen?

I just signed in using my "Windows Live" ID and it worked. Here's a couple of things you can try:
  • Make sure when you sign in, you use the following web address: https://login.live.com
  • Clear your Internet Explorer temporary cache - all of it - including temp files, cookies, etc.
  • Make sure you didnt disable javascripting.
If that doesn't work, come back and ask one of the moderators to move this post to one of the malware removal forums. If the Microsoft forums are the only ones you cant access, I have a feeling it's because a cookie on your computer was deleted and you had checked "Remember me on this computer" when you logged in. That's why your OneCare user name appears when you attempt to sign in.

Just my best guess...

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the reply syscorpsecure.

Here is some more information.

If I go to the Windows Onecare site this is the first screen I see.

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/3/default.htm

Posted Image

If I click on help/support (top left) I get the following screen. If I click on Windows Onecare forums, I get the screen I included in my first post. If I click on any of the other choices like OneCre blog or Onecare wiki, I have no problems, the pages will open.

Posted Image

Now if I do the exact same thing using my wife's account on this computer the following screen is what I would get after clicking on Windows Onecare forums. We both have administrators rights. I am the only one who registered on the forums site so I could post in the forums.

Posted Image

I hope the above information is of some help in trying to solve this problem.

EDIT: I just gave this a try. While I am using my wife's User account on the computer I can log in on the forums and post. I just can't get to the forums on my user account. I suppose it is no big deal , I just have to log off and switch user accounts if I want to go to the forums. I just find it odd that after 2 years of no trouble this situation has come up.

Thanks,

Edited by Dennis H, 13 August 2009 - 08:29 AM.

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:12 AM

In case anyone is running into the same problem or in case anyone is interested at all, I was able to find a fix for the problem.

I E-mailed Microsoft and explained the trouble I was having. Below is the answer I received today. I have Internet Explorer 8. After following the instructions the problem has been fixed, however my Google tool bar was removed which I download again and I also had to reset my prefences for IE-8.

I am not recommending this fix I am only passing on information that may or may not help others.

I am not qualified to advise anyone on how to repair a computer problem.
Here is the body of the E-mail I received.

"This problem can be caused by Internet Explorer (IE) setting or by the user account itself".

"To troubleshoot this issue, let’s follow the steps below to reset Internet Explorer (IE) to its default setting first. Please choose the steps according to your IE’s version".

For Internet Explorer 6.0:

------------------------

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotations) and press "Enter".

2. Select the "General" tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click "Delete Cookies", and click "OK".

3. In the same tab click "Delete Files", check the "Delete all offline contents" box and click "OK".

4. Click the "Programs" tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".

5. Click the "Advanced" tab, and click "Restore Defaults".

6. Under the "Advanced" tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" (requires restart).

7. Click "OK".

For Internet Explorer 7.0:

-------------------------

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotations) and press "Enter".

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Click the "Reset" button in "Reset Internet Explorer settings".

4. Click "Reset" to confirm the operation.

5. Click "Close" when the resetting process has finished.

6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Browsing box.

7. Click "Apply", click "OK".

For Internet Explorer 8

==============================

1. Click Start, click Run, please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) and press Enter to open the Internet options window.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Click the "Reset…" button to reset Internet Explorer settings.

4. Check the "Delete personal settings" option and click "Reset" button to confirm the operation.

5. Click Close when the resetting process finished.

6. Launch the Internet options window and switch to the "Advanced" tab again.

7. Uncheck the option "Enable third-party browser extensions" in the Settings box.

8. Switch to the "General" tab, and click the "Use Blank" button under the Home page area.

9. Click Apply, click OK.

10. Close Internet Explorer window.

"If the problem persists after the resetting, I suggest creating/registering a new account as a test. If the new account works, your original account should be corrupted".

#8 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the update, I had a feeling it was something to do with a temporary internet file stored in the temp folder in your user account, but this looks more like something in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder was the issue.

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:46 AM

Hello syscorpsecure.

My troubles began when I reset my OneCare password. Why I don't know. I guess it threw something off kilter in my Temporary Internet Files.

The tech rep who helped me also provided a couple of links that he thought may help me if I run into computer trouble in the future.

Here are the links he provided. Maybe they will come in handy for some of you folks that read this thread.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-xp/default.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb264763.aspx

Edited by Dennis H, 20 August 2009 - 05:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users