Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble downloading drivers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 danlnad

danlnad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

Here is my original problem in a nutshell. I am a beginner. I installed an old windows xp i had (2002). After installation i couldn't connect to the internet. I checked the drivers, and sure enough, they had a ? next to their name. I needed these drivers: ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, video controller. I have only 1 computer, so i thought i should try the ubuntu (linux) cd i had. I installed ubuntu, and now i have internet. I went to dell.com/support and tried downloading drivers. I get this "delldriverdownloadmanager.application", a plain text document, 9.3 kb in size (not the 3.3 mb size i expect). I don't think this is the correct driver application. I cannot open it in winzip. I don't know what i am doing wrong. Can i download these drivers using a linux OS? Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

It looks like Dell is trying to make you use a download manager to download the drivers (why they do this I do not know), try looking for a direct download link, if you can't find one, you can try using a friend's computer to download the ethernet drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users