Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing/corrupt file? Virus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

I bought my son a netbook (Acer Aspire One) just a couple of days ago. It's been runnning fine. We put Avira on it as the security, as well as Mbam. Just now, I tried to boot it up and got a message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

What the heck is that? I can't get the computer beyond that to even to do a system restore or anything. Help. My son is leaving on Thursday and I have to have this fixed by then.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

"Open the pod bay door, hal!"

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

What has your son downloaded to the computer that you know of?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 08 October 2009 - 01:35 AM.
Mod edit: Removed Profanity

#3 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

He's been on YouTube a lot but I don't think he downloaded any more programs than I put on before I gave it to him: Mozilla, Skype, Mbam, Avira. Would this be a rootkit infection? How do I even get in to deal with it?
Thanks

#4 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

I'm not quite sure, are you able to get into safe mode?

In some cases, a virus can stop windows from loading and display a fake screen.

Also, did you have any filters on his computer preventing him from looking at obscene material? He could use a proxy the look at obscene/violent material, and alot of malware pop-ups come through proxy servers. It is possible.

Edited by ComputerNutjob, 11 August 2009 - 05:00 PM.

#5 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

No, can't get into safe mode, can't get past that screen. No filters on the computer, he's almost 20. I bought it basically so we can communicate when he gets deplyed (Marines). I'm so pissed off about this!

#6 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hmmm. Can you even try "Last known good configuration"? If you can't then you will need a BC advisor to help.

Or a new computer. Personally, if you do get a new one, I recommend Avast Free Home Edition and Ad-Aware. I don't use MBAM, but it is also a VERY good malware removal tool.

Edited by ComputerNutjob, 11 August 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#7 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

Just back from Best Buy with a new one. The tech there said that message means that the hard drive is checking out and given the fact that the unit is only a couple of days old, they just replaced it with a new one that I will now have to resetup. The other one has been chalked up to lemonade...
Re the virus program, I read through this site and also the reviews on download.cnet. They seem to think that Avira is the superior freeware of the three: AVG, Avast and Avira. I do use AdAware on my desktop and my own laptop so I think I'll instal it on the netbook this time, perhaps as well as Mbam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users