Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Dell Recovery partition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CluelessNI

CluelessNI

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

My stepson has a Dell laptop on which the HDD is giving indications that it is about to fail. It has started to freeze and when I have run the Dell diagnostics it has failed 3 of the HDD tests. Research indicates this shows imminent HDD failure. Anyway I have purchased a new HDD but, as this laptop has the Dell Recovery partition, I am not sure how I can re-install the OS on the new HDD. I understand how to use the recovery partition if I was repairing the original OS installation but as I am installing a new HDD I am unclear how to get the OS on the new drive. I have a sinking feeling that I should have created some recovery disks when we first got the laptop and then could use thesed. Is this right? If so can I create then another way. For example I can connect his HDD to my own PC using a USB connector an can access the Recovery partition. Is there any way I can create the necessary disks this way.

With thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

Dell replaced for free the last time I used it
https://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...n/backupcd_form
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 CluelessNI

CluelessNI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

Hi Garmanma - thanks for this. I tried the link but because I am outside of the US I cannot use it. However I can call my Regional dell support and request them this way. I'll try this later (when they open) and post an entry as to how sucessful it is.
Once again with thanks.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users