Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not access slave hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mtalbaghal

mtalbaghal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

I am running XP SP3. I have a IDE Western Digital 20 gb protege hard drive that used to work in this PC as a slave HD until recently. I upgraded to SP3, and took it to the shop for repair, and nothing. Master HD works fine.

Slave HD shows up in both BIOS and in Device Manager, but not in Disk Management or in My Computer.

I have tried using the jumpers in both slave and cable select settings. The same results occurs in both.

I have deleted the drive from Device Manager, and upon restart the Windows finds it and "installs" it. However, it then returns to the same issue where it is seen in Device Manager and BIOS, but no where else.

I have checked BIOS and Device Manager settings, appear to be equivalent between Master and Slave HD except slave listed as secondary. Drives and IDE controls appear working fine in Device Manager.

Any and all help appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

At this point in time...a 20GB drive is quite old, if purchased/installed at a time when such were popular items.

I've stopped using mine because I consider them unreliable at this point (more than 5 years old) and insufficient for my storage needs today.

If Disk Management does not see a drive/partition...that's not good news, since Disk Management and the BIOS should always see any functional drive which is properly attached.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users